North Central Texas...Laying pullets POL

Texgran

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have RIR's, Barred Rock, Buffs and the hen that produces Red Sex Links, the Rhode Island White. When a Rhode Island White hen is bred to a Rhode Island Red rooster they produce a Red Sex - Link. They can be sexed at hatching. The pullets are red/red tinged and the roosters are white. Cool, huh?:cool: The sex-links are considered egg laying machines and are very gentle natured. In fact, I've never been around a chicken any more easy natured than the Rhode Island Whites.
$15 each
email me

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome! Very interesting info on the Red Sex Links. So do you know anything about the Golden sex links? Your post just got me thinking. I have 22 in a coop right now and I was wondering why some are mostly redish and others are white. I was told they are a red rock/ white rock mix. Not sure why they called them golden. Please don't tell me I have a batch of Roo's .

Uggg ... I guess only time will tell. G

Texgran

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
White Rock hens w/ a New Hampshire male produce the Golden Comet. There are several crosses that will produce sex-link. The sex-links are hardier and more productive than their parents (hybrid vigor?). These breeds are considered hybrid so they don't breed true.

Here's an article that explains it very simply:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

If yours are the golden comets then the white ones would be roosters. How easy is that? I love being able to sex them at hatching. The roosters are yum at about 6 weeks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:th I don't need that many roos. did I mention I am raising a few of these for a friend. Maybe I should give him a couple of the white ones. :lol: