North Dakota??

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need info on ND... what is the climate like, what are the people like, etc. We are thinking about going up there with an oilfield job offer, with the intent to save enough money to be able in a few years buy a place back here that we have our eye on. I have a cat & dog that I will not leave, and want to take my 3 horses & 2 of my goats (leave the sheep, other goats, and chickens here in NM with MIL), to do so we would need at least a small place to rent with a little bit of room for the livestock. I dont know how to go about looking for a place like that, I know that if you wanted to rent a place like that here where we live now, you would need to go in persn j expect to spend a few months searching, spreading the word, and your best bet of finding something like that would be through word of mouth... so Im figuring that would work there, too, but Im getting started here :) Any advice on living in ND? I am used to living out in the boonies 2 hours from groceries & medical, that is actually what I prefer, but I could do city life too if I can have my critters, and I live in the mountains over 7000' elevation where we get a lot of snow and long, long, cold winters... I dont think Ive ever even seen a PHOTO of North Dakota! All advice appreciated!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I would find the location of the jobsite on Google earth, then see what smallish towns are close. Search on line for the newspapers/want ads/real estate ads for those areas. Use an on-line encyclopedia to find out about the area's manufacturing, climate, population, average income range.
Ideally, you might find a position as caretaker for an absent land owner, and be able to use his land for your livestock.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks!
Can anyone tell me what the people are like up there? Friendly, standoffish, liberal, conservative, etc?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in MN and we get some unofficial word on the Dakotas now and then. Basically, it's a gold rush. Housing and supplies are expensive. I heard an interview with a young woman who was single. She is constantly harassed. She carries pepper spray and a gun. The last person I spoke with basically acknowledged that, except for the money, most every other effect of the boom is negative. You might have better luck with country-type accommodations but look before you leap.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks :) Is there anyone else from that area on here? What is the growing season length?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Thanks :) Is there anyone else from that area on here? What is the growing season length?
I think the guy that uses "Trim sends" is in either north or South dakota he is very snart and has his act together.. I wish i could remember his proper user name. IF you have a specific city or county in mind you could look that up on-line [wikipedia or weather underground is where i would start] weather underground is past records collected from airfields and has a bunch of very small airfields.~gd

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
~gd said:
Blaundee said:
I think the guy that uses "Trim sends" is in either north or South dakota he is very snart and has his act together.. I wish i could remember his proper user name. IF you have a specific city or county in mind you could look that up on-line [wikipedia or weather underground is where i would start] weather underground is past records collected from airfields and has a bunch of very small airfields.~gd
The guy you're speaking of is Icu4dzs

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
~gd said:
Blaundee said:
The guy you're speaking of is Icu4dzs
Thats the one/ i think that has something to do with shortwave radio Icu sure does/~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
He's a doctor, so it's I see you for diseases. :lol:

Cheerio, nice to see you!

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My bad, I thought I had updated with the city (I couldnt recall the name when I first posted). Williston is where the job is, and we would have to live within 15 miles or so. Ive found a lot of info online, and am still looking to connect with some people from up there. I still dont know what the growing season is like, though.

Latest posts