Nose Bleeds - how to stop them

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
mamagoose said:
I always just put a clean leaf in my mouth chewed it a little just to chop it up and then shoved it up my nose- simple.
:gig I wish I could post a copy of the picture in my head. (sorry its classified)

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hehehe yeah it isn't the most flattering look but hey , it works :)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that the vitamin K thing probably has a lot to do with chronic nose bleeding. People just don't eat enough green leafy veggies... Vitamin K2 according to Weston Price is the elixir of life, maintaining so many vital functions, especially for the cardiovascular system. Price called it Activator X for years,,, it was that thing that made things right that he just couldn't put his finger on so he gave the unknown entity that name. I think his students figured out it was vitamin K2 sometime after he died.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Wifezilla said:
Do you need a humidifier in your house?
hmmm...never thought of that, WZ. It is low humidity here. Usually 15% or so. I was just shocked at having a nose bleed for no reason. I'll think on this....great...another thing to use electricity, when we have some of the highest rates in the country. But it probably is better than some of the health issues due to dry weather.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now, in the future, we and newbies can search for the word nosebleed and find this thread!
VERY good suggestion. My childhood home was super dry in winter. We have a humidifier in our home, plus water on the woodstove, and I rarely get nosebleeds any more.

As for the leafy greens, I'm sure that's good info, but I am--and always have been--a large consumer of fruits, veggies, and leafy greens and it doesn't affect my nosebleeds. I was told by one doctor that some people's nasal blood vessels are just closer to the surface and easier to rupture.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Wifezilla said:
Do you need a humidifier in your house?
hmmm...never thought of that, WZ. It is low humidity here. Usually 15% or so. I was just shocked at having a nose bleed for no reason. I'll think on this....great...another thing to use electricity, when we have some of the highest rates in the country. But it probably is better than some of the health issues due to dry weather.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now, in the future, we and newbies can search for the word nosebleed and find this thread!
Growing up in Nebraska, my mom had a cast iron kettle she kept full of water on the wood stove to add humidity in the winter. I wonder if a pot of water on the stove would use less electricity than a humidifier?

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad swears that if he doesn't donate blood every other month or so he can't control his nosebleeds. Logically I don't know how that works, but it seems to for him.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
My dad swears that if he doesn't donate blood every other month or so he can't control his nosebleeds. Logically I don't know how that works, but it seems to for him.
I wonder if it could be a BP thing. I know there is some condition with blood cells that requires blood removal to control it. Could that also affect bleeding?

I would think a humidifier would be MUCH cheaper to run than a stove. I bet you could find that on an energy company website though. In general, anything that creates heat uses a lot of electricity.

Even leaving kettles of water about would help humidity from sheer evaporation :) I remember home and college being excruciatingly dry, and I had lizard skin and chronic nosebleeds.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My 5 yr old DS just had a killer one last night....he wakes up in his sleep and his nose will be gushing. Poor thing gets them all the time....he just looked at me last night with a towel shoved up his nose and said "mommy, I wasn't picking my nose or anything this time I promise". :rolleyes:

I will definitely have to use the wet washcloth on the back of the neck....don't know if he could handle the cayenne....we run a humidifier in his bedroom at night during the winter. They always seem to happen at night.

Latest posts