Not sure

sixoclock

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and would like to get a little feed back. I am 58 and my wife just turned 50. We have wanted to get some property,start a garden and raise some chicken. We also desire to fine a brick ranch home to live in. What we are finding is that it will take a lot of work to live out our dream. My thoughts have been am I too old to start this new way of living? Help

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nah! The boyfriend is 63 and he's just now getting into the swing of things with me. Just start out small and keep adding as you see fit. If you can't manage cattle, then don't... But you can still garden and raise chickens or anything else that you can handle. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope. you should be staying very active. if you sit on you rear end when getting older I find more people have troubles than those that work their butts off and enjoy it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What FarmerChick said, for sure. The more active you are, the better your body holds up over time. I've seen little 90 year old women still going strong, because they keep going and keep active. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm 51. The only reason I don't have my garden planted yet is because I had a knee operation in January, my knee is still stiff so I'm behind in everything! Plus, it keeps raining at all the wrong times. Right now, I have eggs in the incubator, 4 adult chickens and 8 nuggets (8 week old chicks). My hubby's job is basically just building stuff I can't, and staying out of my way. He's pretty good at doing that! :lol:

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope. I know folks older than you just starting to be ss.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dad was 50 and Mom was 47 and still had 4 of their 9 children at home when they started homesteading and living off grid. Built log cabins with chainsaws and axes, hauled water by hand from a spring(of course they had us kids to go a lot of the work also), grew massive gardens and canned hundreds of jars of deer meat, veggies and fruit, had livestock, cleared the land, etc.

Where there is a will, there is a way....go for it!

5_cabin_1_the_beginning.jpg

5_dad_and_josh_first_logs.jpg

5_dad_and_josh.jpg

5_mom_and_cabin.jpg

5_cabin_2.jpg

5_lady_milking.jpg

My mom is 77 and still at it and was 75 in this pic where she helped me butcher out a young heifer...she did the gutting! She also still turkey hunts...has killed many a turkey and even won the big turkey contests around these parts. She and I do all the deer gutting, skinning and processing here.

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_056.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bee, love the log cabin!

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bee, LOVE the picture's...... amazing parents you have and how lucky you are to have the opportunity to learn from them.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, I love the photos. especially the one milking the cow.
Sixoclock, I'm 63 and have rheumatoid arthritis. I am at my best when I'm out in the garden turning over the soil with a shovel. Work that you love keeps you strong and healthy. Don't be afraid to start something new, particularly something as rewarding as learning to live more SS.

Latest posts