Notre Dame Cathedral's burning down :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This obviously calls for a Master Craftsman, who understands the nuances of wood and who can coax out the true beauty of a piece of wood.

So...….. @CrealCritter ……….how's your French? You are sorely needed!

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Or take the opportunity to 'improve' it...

... and now I hear that they're already considering several designs to replace and update the spire... :(

(.. but I'm still miffed about that giant glass paperweight in front of The Louvre)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I haven't looked at updates today, but I heard they removed a lot of the art before the fire already and that they made as much effort to remove more as they did fighting the fire during the event. So that thankfully got saved!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
... and now I hear that they're already considering several designs to replace and update the spire... :(

(.. but I'm still miffed about that giant glass paperweight in front of The Louvre)

Well you know the trees that they build it with do not exist anymore. Huge diameter and very tall (old growth). Let alone 52 acres of them, so they will have to do something different. It will never be the same... Because the raw materials don't exist.

Notre Dame, was nicknamed "The Forest". I didn't know a lot of this until, it came out because of the fire. But just think... No modern machinery back then either. Built by hand when "Men were Men". It's a remarkable structure, to bad they didn't keep up with routine maintenance. It was sadly neglected for a long time in that respect :( 870 year old timbers, dry as a bone went up like matchsticks. Makes me so sad and angry at the same time.

Just a perspective...
1280px-Nave_of_Notre-Dame_de_Paris,_22_June_2014_002.jpg

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I saw a few posts on FB about people pointing out how the money streamed in to help rebuild the building, while war torn countries and other causes struggle.