Now a Cotton Wick Shortage!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We ordered cotton wicks that are used for oil lamps from a well known, popular company mentioned frequently here on SS.
We just received notice that the wick supplier cannot keep up with current demand and that the Federal Trade Commission requires the catalog company to obtain our permission to keep the wicks on back order.
[Quote "...That's one reason why you may not be able to find other companies selling them. But, I feel they're worthwhile enough to keep carrying in spite of the frustration." Quote]

We wonder if this is just the beginning of self sufficiency supply shortages or if others have been experiencing this? Of course ammo is one, but does anyone know what else is being snapped up on such a large scale?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Far as I can see the shelves are well stocked in Utah.
But I looked high and low and could not find a blow dryer to fit my diffuser..:hit

:plbb

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Far as I can see the shelves are well stocked in Utah.
But I looked high and low and could not find a blow dryer to fit my diffuser..:hit

:plbb
LOL! Doesn't that just figure!

I was wondering if there had been a run on the wicks in stores, too. I'll look around and buy what is in stock.
I know last fall that bags of rice were almost non existent, but they seem to be in good supply at the moment. Do they purposely cause shortages to increase prices?

Years ago I worked at JoAnn Fabrics when it was Cleveland Fabrics. During that time the Japanese bought up ten years of US cotton which dramatically affected not only the price of cotton fabrics but the quality of fabric. We still have much of the cheap polyester cotton blends on the market which are a holdover from that time.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I bought some at Walmart just after Christmas. I was going to stock up on some more two weeks ago and they had NONE. They did not even have a spot for it anymore. No lamps, no wicks, no oil!

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maybe the stores are still trying to restock some products.. with all the bad winter weather and storms we have had resently...during december walmarts here ran out of small propane bottles and lamp oil. took about 7 to 10 days before they was restocked.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it possible to make some type of wick using some cotton material?

Maybe a person could get some cotton ropes that's about the right thickness and sew them together some way.

Let's get our ss skills brushed off and work on this. :/

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
They sell belting at JoAnn fabrics that looks very similar. Hennypenny might know.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I was wondering if there had been a run on the wicks in stores, too. I'll look around and buy what is in stock. I know last fall that bags of rice were almost non existent, but they seem to be in good supply at the moment.

Do they purposely cause shortages to increase prices?
I believe so in some cases. All it takes is for the media to say there is a shortage and people are lined up to buy it, which either causes the shortage or perpetuates the shortage. We had two stores locally that had rice available at the time, but they doubled the price for a 5 pound bag. Now rice is plentiful on their shelves, but the prices haven't been lowered at all.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
They sell belting at JoAnn fabrics that looks very similar. Hennypenny might know.
Thanks Pams, this looks interesting. If anybody tries this, let us know how it comes out.

Latest posts