"Now Go Home and Rethink Your Clothing!"

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Nothing to think about. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl. I can get dressed in the dark.
I am similarly inclined except I spend more than half the year in sweatshirts instead of t-shirts!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, that $40 I spent on new stuff has to last me until Summer.

I have been losing weight so I do have an excuse to replace my clothes.I think I spend less than $100 per family member per year. Maybe a little more if I can't get those big bags of socks for the guys on sale :D

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make sure not to buy anything that must be dry cleaned, and nothing that requires any fancy washing. And of course everything is from the thrift store, or hand-me-downs from my girlfriends (and sometimes from my little sister who has now outgrown me--she's 14, I'm 32).

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Basically the only clothes we buy "new" are those for my husband...his job requires him to maintain a level of professional dress..and of course under clothes are new.

The rest of what we get comes from the Good Will, Salvation Army, Valley Rescue Mission, and yard sales. You can find all the clothes you want there, although, even those stores are raising prices, so occassionally you can get new from the store on clearance for about the same price.

I hate spending money on clothes....usually mine end up spotted with something. It use to be baby spit, now its dog slobber and chicken....feathers.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Since we seem to be a bunch of thrift store shoppers, which brands seem to hold up the most?

I have had great luck with Land's End, LL Bean and Eddie Baur.

Faded Glory is a Walmart brand so I avoid it.

Some JC Penney stuff is durable... South Pole sweat shirts last years.

Old Navy fleece is hard to kill for some reason. Hubby and I have a gray hoodie we have been stealing from each other for years :p

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I very rarely buy new clothes for myself my little guy is growing so fast that it seems he gets new clothes once a month. 99% of which come from sal val. When I get new clothes they come from sal val too. :p

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My job right now demands I dress well and being bigger I rarely find stuff at the Sal, Goodwill or Value Village in my size. I've been loosing weight so I try to make the clothes last as long as possible with safety pins to help hold up my pants when I have to. But if I had the choice I'd be in jeans and t's/sweaters.
Thankfully dh has all his work clothes supplied by his work and he hates to have to go clothes shopping unless it's a must do - he's getting there in the jeans department, I don't think he has a pair that don't have his knees coming through them. My kids get one new outfit for the start of school, one or two for Christmas and when they wear out their clothes. I try to hit just the clearance racks at the stores. My dd gets alot of hand me downs from the girl next door but she is bigger than her so usually I have to store what doesn't fit. Last year I sold most of the clothes on eBay cause I just couldn't see holding on to them all - plus it was great to have the extra money. Otherwise I visit the Sal, Goodwill and VV when ever I get to those towns.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I have a friend who has to wear a suit and tie to work and his wife has to dress professional as well. They both get a majority of their stuff at Goodwill or other thrift stores. When they can't find what they need there, they "upgrade" to consignment shops.

Yes, if you are not an average size it is harder. My find the other day was pure luck because I am 6' tall and usually can't get tall jeans.

If you are a plus size, Venezia jeans are really good. Another item that last for years.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
That is my favorite quote from the movie "Evening Star"

Aside from a good laugh, it brings up the question, are you rethinking your clothing? Going more for value than fashion? Stick with or avoiding certain brands? Embracing denim for its durability? Only buying sensible footwear?

I ask because I was at Goodwill last night and I noticed myself being extra careful. I stuck with brands that I knew lasted forever (Land's End sweater, Columbia Jacket, Lee jeans, etc...). As for footwear, I laughed because all I could think was "This wouldn't be very practical if I was running away from zombies!"

So, are you rethinking your clothing?
I shop all sales. It could be Macys or JC Penneys or Sears or Goodwill.........I look for the best buy for my money.

No, I don't own tons of clothes and the bulk is farm stuff...but my good stuff is "excellent" quality cause it lasts.

Clothes mean so much to some people and nothing to others but how I dress does show me to the world as "presenting a nice package" as best I can....even in my crappy farm stuff...LOL-LOL

Latest posts