NOW I get to feel smug

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I think they are thinking waiting a few days for more food to magically appear is easier than growing it themselves. :rolleyes:

Today I went to a gathering at our indoor local farmer's market. The lady who ran the store told me about all the food she raises. I was shocked she had such a bounty of food year round for herself and for the market.

I asked her how much acreage she had. She got this funny look on her face and she said, "I live in the city, on a small city lot."

You could have picked up everyone's jaw from the floor when she said that.

Apparently she uses her flat topped shed to grow tons of stuff like lettuce and spinach etc. and she uses every bit of yard space for the rest. She has not one blade of grass in her yard AND she gardens her neighbor's yards for them too. (They get a beautiful yard and all the fresh, organic veggies for free!)

I was truely inspired. Other people were too. She says she gets visitor after visitor asking to take photos of her beautiful, edible yard after they drive by and see it for the first time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Smart lady! :thumbsup

I'm getting the book Four Season Gardening soon and will attempt to start growing all year round under plastic tunnels. A large portion of our food consumption is fresh Romaine lettuces, green peppers, broccoli, onions and celery, spices, herbs, etc. I really want to be able to produce these items and not buy from a store any longer.

I also am setting aside a section of the garden this year for seed harvesting and plan to collect my own lettuce, radish, carrot, onions, etc. seeds to save.

It is just a necessity to start thinking about self-sustaining now....no longer in the realm of could I? or should I?....it is now, I must!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
BBH, that is where I am headed. I am scrounging stuff for beds. I can't wait for garage sale season :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
WZ, word on the street says you have been guerilla gardening too! ;) :lol:

About the only downfall of NOT living in S. Texas is the lack of year round garage sales. :( Who knew there was a season just for garage sales!! :barnie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
WZ, word on the street says you have been guerilla gardening too!
Don't believe those gardeners! They are crazy...they talk to plants! :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BBH, any chance you could get some pictures of that ladies' yard and post them? Sounds so cool!

Latest posts