Now where did I leave those big girl panties...?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have 3 drakes hanging out in a bachelor pen. They need to be butchered and made in to food. The last thing I butchered was a squirrel a couple of weeks ago. It was easy to do since I hate squirrels. They are evil and destructive. I don't hate ducks however.

: heavy sigh :

I have their killing cone already completed (made out of an old outdoor vinyl banner) and have a blood bucket. Since this will be my first time butchering ducks, I am just going to skin instead of pluck.

The problem is I am stalling when it comes to sharpening the knife. I wish they would stop being cute at me.

If someone finds a pair of XL big girl panties, please send them my way :p

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
BGP's are here. Watch the swinging watch and REPEAT AFTER ME: Those ducks are "NOT CUTE". NOT CUTE. NOT CUTE.
They will not be cute until they are on my table. Butchering ducks is what I do. I am not affected by the fact that I love these ducks.

Now - go get um.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs I know just what you mean!!! Even animals I hate I have a hard time doing the deed.... It's the eyes... I just can't look them in the eyes...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The first one is always the hardest. :hugs: Cry if you need to, but really, it gets easier.
I cried over the first 3 bunnies I did. Like a baby. A hungry, angry baby.

*hands you big girl panties* Now go put these on, tell them thank you and get 'er done!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stop picturing them as cute ducks and start visualizing them roasting in your oven, giving off those good ducky smells. ( I can't cull my chickens either... patting wifey's hand and saying, "There, there"...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We felt the same way, but just make sure you make it quick. Ours were not scared or anything, up until that very last moment, they were happy and never knew what hit them. That made me feel better about it.

And it was YUMMY so that made us feel even better after that.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I know this is cheesy, but when I have to cull/butcher something I repeat a line from Clan of the Cave Bear. "When you return to the Mother, thank her for me." Like I said, cheesy, but it helps.