Now where did I see that?????

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I also wrote a thread on BYC, back in the fall, about a super easy way to make ACV if you have apples and unpasteurized, unfiltered ACV on hand. I don't know where the thread is, but if you searched for it you can probably find it. I think I called it Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar?

I stored mine in the fridge instead of pasteurizing it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Update on finding sturdy plastic jugs! I dumpster dived at a restuarant beside my office and found some 3 gal. jugs, square with a large mouth, very sturdy, food-grade plastic that holds their cooking oils. Should be easy to clean these out for use. And I am sure there will be plenty more! By fall, I should have enough to do the following......

I'm thinking......store my vinegar in them, paint one side black and use them on the back wall of my greenhouse I'm building this fall. As I empty them~using them for the livestock~I will replace the ACV with water. I don't know how the temp fluctuation will affect the ACV, but I will definitely find out.

I plan to make enough ACV to supplement my livestock all year, so the 3 gal. capacity, heavy-duty jugs will be much more convenient than using canning jars. I plan on having LOTS of ACV! :p

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I plan to make enough ACV to supplement my livestock all year, so the 3 gal. capacity, heavy-duty jugs will be much more convenient than using canning jars. I plan on having LOTS of ACV! :p
Hey Bee, can a person squeeze apples for ACV with a lard or saussage press?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden, I did find it. If you enter "apple cider vinegar" in the search field and "DrakeMaiden" in the author field, it'll pop up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Beekissed said:
Hey Bee, can a person squeeze apples for ACV with a lard or saussage press?
I've never seen one of those, so I just don't know. I don't have a cider press, so I intend to use a juicer unless I find it unsatisfactory. Then I will construct a press from plans in my Reader's Digest book that tells one how to do just about anything SS. I love that book! It gives plans for using a car jack to make a press.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've never seen one of those, so I just don't know. I don't have a cider press, so I intend to use a juicer unless I find it unsatisfactory. Then I will construct a press from plans in my Reader's Digest book that tells one how to do just about anything SS. I love that book! It gives plans for using a car jack to make a press.
Here are some pictures of what I am talking about. They are made out of cast iron.

http://www.bargainjohn.com/m257bPress.htm

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know why one of those wouldn't work, Tallman! Looks similar to a cider press. Is there a runoff somewhere on it for the juice?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whatever is being pressed runs out a hole in the bottom. I see these at farm sales once in awhile. I have one that would hold about a gallon of produce ready to be squeezed.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
DrakeMaiden, I did find it. If you enter "apple cider vinegar" in the search field and "DrakeMaiden" in the author field, it'll pop up.
Thanks FarmerDenise . . . I guess I should have posted it here to begin with, but I don't think I was a member of this forum at the time. I think the fact that I posted it there might explain the confusion justusnak felt . . . maybe she read it over there and thought it was posted here? So, no justusnak, you aren't losing your mind. :)