Nuclear Reactor Meltdown has Occured

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Dunkopf said:
I would direct all questions to the NRC. You are probably in one of the best places though. I would be more worried about high housing cost if I was you.:)
High enough as it is! My property taxes are $7,100 for my .43 piece of property with my little house on it. BTW........I'm selling. ;)
Spent quite a bit of time on LI. Mostly on the western end. It was back in 91-93 and I was shocked at prices then. I imagine they dropped and then came back up. Property taxes probably just went up.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
calendula said:
I heard an interesting story on NPR this morning: Chernobyl's Hot Zone Holds Some Surprises

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/16/134585523/Chernobyls-Hot-Zone-Holds-Some-Surprises
That's good news. Something else I heard yesterday was about some small city. 17,000 people and half of them were gone. They were presumed drowned and next thing you know they find 9000 of them in another town they had evacuated to. That had to be a happy moment. Also shows how lost everyone is without cellular communication.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
calendula said:
I heard an interesting story on NPR this morning: Chernobyl's Hot Zone Holds Some Surprises

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/16/134585523/Chernobyls-Hot-Zone-Holds-Some-Surprises
That's good news. Something else I heard yesterday was about some small city. 17,000 people and half of them were gone. They were presumed drowned and next thing you know they find 9000 of them in another town they had evacuated to. That had to be a happy moment. Also shows how lost everyone is without cellular communication.
You may be further surprised by the responses to this particular story. It seems that some folks find fault with all of it.
Hmmm, guess no one will ever agree on anything. Too bad.

Just for a reference as some folks are not aware of the radiation figures the following is submitted:
1 REM = 10 millisieverts =1000 microsieverts
1 REM = 1 Grey

A CT scan of the abdomen gives about 5.6 REM exposure to an individual.

A ride from NY to LA gives somewhat more radiation.

With these figures you can (assuming the mainstream media [MSM] tells us the "truth") figure out the exposure risk to the folks in Japan right now. While it is certainly a concern for a number of reasons, the level of concern on the ground in Japan is still low and the risk to folks in the USA is still insignificant/unmeasurable.

Hope this is helpful.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
If we all agreed, this forum would not be interesting! It is the different viewpoints that add spice to life.

:pop

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
If we all agreed, this forum would not be interesting! It is the different viewpoints that add spice to life.

And I was thinking that is was Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
savingdogs said:

And I was thinking that is was Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. :D
Nah, it's Joe's Stuff from the New Orleans Cooking School :celebrate

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
What's important is how long you are exposed. When I was in the Army. I was the battery NBC NCO for 6 months. That stands for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical. In an actual war situation every unit has a machine that sniffs the air and warns of gas and of course they have gieger counters and radiation detectors. During peacetime the NBC NCO is just responsible for maintaining inventory and making sure that inspections are passed. At any rate you have to go to school for either 2 or 3 weeks. The most interesting part of the class is when they discuss formulas for determining exposure to radiation. You have to take a given number of Rems which of course depends on how close you are to a nuclear detonation and how powerful it was. You calculate if it is safer to stay in your armored vehicle or to stay in a building. Every armored vehicle has different levels of protection and every structure has different levels. The radiation level goes down but saturation level goes up and the idea is to determine the safest place for the troops to be.

What was funny was that the Russians who were our primary enemies at the time knew that they would be dying anyway. So they just issued morphine and were expected to fight till they fell over. We wanted to live that day and die a few weeks later.

So a cat scan may give you a higher burst of radiation for 5 minutes. What matters is the type of ray it is and how long the exposure is. Some radioactive particles can be stopped by a piece of paper, while others can't be stopped at all.

I'm not trying to claim any kind of expertise at all. I took this class which I scored the highest out of a group of 52 mostly officers. Of course they were officers and thought it would be a cake walk. They were also mostly 2nd lieutenants so they were still kids. That aside it was 30 years ago and I can't remember anything but the very basics.

The Japanese had a lot of birth defects and a lot of people died from the experience years later. I would imagine the older amongst them that lived around the walking corpses in the later years after WWII are absolutely terrified.