Nuclear Reactor Meltdown has Occured

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I have been looking at maps that chart the flow of air from Japan that will have radio active material in it.

It is time now to start taking Lugols iodine or potassium iodide tablets... It will be coming to the states,, from Vancouver being first hit then it will move south.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"A jet stream or air current could well carry radioactive fallout as far as British Columbia, the CBC's Belle Puri reported.

The worst-case scenario would be a Chernobyl-scale catastrophe, with explosions destroying the reactors and sending a deadly plume of radioactivity into the atmosphere. The Chernobyl accident 25 years ago in Ukraine spewed radiation over much of Europe after a nuclear reactor exploded and caught fire."

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Much of europe had to import their food after that, since their soils were contaminated. People couldn't eat the vegies from their backyard gardens.
I didn't send my DD to school and we all stayed inside for several days as it was supposedly blowing down the west coast.

Pretty scary stuff.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And that's why I don't like nuclear energy. Yes, it's a good energy source, and great normally. But, what if you have something unexpected happen? Then you're in trouble.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
When you step back, and consider just how much energy is required to mine and refine the Uranium ore that is makes the power rods(U-235), transport it, store it AND dispose of it, then look at how much energy it takes to actually build the nuclear reactor itself, the containment vessel and the cooling towers(not to mention all the pumps and other stuff, PLUS the fact there STILL has to be a form of fossil fuel made power as a backup system to run the nuclear power plant) it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that we would be waaaay further ahead to just burn the fossil fuels to make our power and skip all the intermediate bs required to make power by nuclear fission.

Sometimes we humans aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.....

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
well,this just keep getting more and more depressing.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Since they wanted to build the nuclear power plant in Diablo Canyon in California (near an earthquake fault) and it was stopped, I've been of the opinion that nuclear power plants should not be placed near earthquake faults. It is not like they were not aware they have horrendous earthquakes in Japan.

I live 16 miles SW from Mt. Saint Helens so we all pick our poison, but......

Did you all hear this quake moved the earth on is axis? And that Hawaii had a 4.5 earthquake after the tsunami? How about that Japan's coastline moved eight feet? I find those things remarkable.

It does seem like the Japanese government is downplaying this nuclear catastrophe, makes me wonder if it is because with their roads torn up they cannot move more people out. I don't know enough about Japan to even speculate however, but it seems strange to say there is no risk and then evacuate all those people during times such as this.

I sure hope that nothing is floating into the atmosphere....