Nurse Scrups

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Looks like I'm one step closer to getting a new job!!!! Yeppie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got a new outfit which will be scrubs, so does anyone know of a good place to get scrubs or a good pattern to make your own? I have little sewing background but I'm willing to try it to save some money! Thanks!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Every major pattern company has scrubs.

Burda is easy. Sew Easy really is easy. Butterick is fairly easy.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, go for it, they are super easy to do (actually a very good place to start learning to sew your own clothes, if you haven't much before) :)

As abi says, any brand of pattern will be about the same, see if you can find something on sale (there is often a *huge* difference between normal and sale pricing on patterns, like 5-10 bucks versus 99 cents. And for scrubs there will be no meaningful difference in the pattern among brands)

Try to get decent fabric. This can be quite difficult these days, but sometimes you luck into someone getting rid of a 'stash' or stuff at a thrift store. Some (but not all!) bedsheets can make decent scrubs-type clothing. If you have to buy new fabric, at least look for sales and scrutinize the fabric quality. Don't buy "four for a dollar" type thread, it is usually extremely poor quality and frustrating to work with.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats! I have seen a lot at the thift stores.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Suggestions from someone who wears scrubs almost every day:

* get/make pants with at least part of the waistband elastic. Otherwise you'll have to keep re-tying them all day 'cause the ties loosen up & your pants almost fall down :/

* I like the tops that have the 2 pockets near the bottom hem. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in those pockets, even your stethoscope.

Congrats on the new job!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Also, check out Ebay....I've known nurses to get a whole box of scrubs for a few bucks on Ebay. Used, of course. Watch the personal ads also....lots of folks gain or lose weight and sell their scrubs pretty cheaply.

I happened to be picking up a script for a patient at a local doctor's office one day last spring and one of the girls asked me if I was interested in some scrubs, as I looked about the right size. I made out like a bandit!!!

She had two large totes full of scrubs and some of them looked like they had never been worn....$4 for tops, $4 for bottoms. You can't even buy the fabric that cheaply! And the quality of the scrubs were better than any that I could ever afford, so I am loving my new nursing wardrobe. I now even have holiday scrubs and seasonal scrubs~ones I would never had bought on my own.

Put the word around at the local nursing home or doctor's offices and you may just find some blessings!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been making mine for years. Get a pattern to start that does not have sew in sleeves. Only about 5 pieces. Follow the pattern even if it does not seem to make sense. Mine take about 1 & 1/2 yards of material. You can change it up a bit by sewing elastic in back, gathered. Or ties. Look for fabric on sale tables, thrift stores or sales. Have fun....I have lots of chicken print scrubs :eek:)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not a nurse or in the profession, but I want to second the suggestion to try the thrift stores. Our local Goodwill has a rack full of them.

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made my first attempt at the cutting of the fabric.....huge mistake!!!! I cut it in half and then thought about what I had done. I'm thinking buying them will be the best option for me!!!!! lol