Nutritious milk, cheesemaking, and pasteurization

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I dreamed of making my own cheese using stinging nettles as the rennet substitute. I've planted the nettles but I have no milk producing animal yet. :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I am interested in making stinging nettle "rennet" too. I have some nettles that were growing in my flower bed and I left them, but I'm not sure that I have enough to make cheese from.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I dreamed of making my own cheese using stinging nettles as the rennet substitute. I've planted the nettles but I have no milk producing animal yet. :p
And here I am trying my best to get rid of the nettles. Darn things are all over here. I didn't know there was actually something useful one could do with them, I'm sure I have more than enough left or will have once spring arrives and this white stuff goes away!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Let me know how the nettle rennet goes! And yes, a quart a day will one day be not nearly enough, but I figure I have until I wean the kids, then I will take all her milk. Then I will also be able to decide if I want a second milking doe, or if I can locate some cow's milk by then for a nice little trading situation. Wouldn't that be grand!