Nutritious milk, cheesemaking, and pasteurization

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Free, I've always wanted my own little Jersey cow. One of these days......... :fl

I, too, would love to make my own butter and such. I think the key would be to maybe run a dairy cow on shares with a local farmer, you milk and give them some of the milk, butter and cheese for allowing your cow to run with theirs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooo, good idea, I know of some crunchy granola types that might go for that. Not this year, though, as I get closer to early retirement!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just something that I learned........
Shortly after we began milking I found a lab that tested milk for dairies. I live in IN, but none of the labs would test my milk. I had to travel to MI, but it was worth it.
Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I was doing a good job cleaning and handling the milk we drank. This lab had several gallons of milk that were being tested when I was there. I could see lab which seemed to be clean and orderly.
When we got the results I was given the recommended allowed numbers and then our numbers, which were no where near the recommendations. I asked what we could improve on and was told our milk was far better than any they test. I was told not to change a thing, that we were doing good.
I was sickened by what is allowed into our milk.
Also, my Dad shared an article on the amount of pus allowed in each gallon of milk. Talk about gross.......... I'll have to dig that article out.

Just a side note - we are currently drinking store purchased milk and try hard not to dwell on this knowledge. We still have enough of our butter and some cheese in the freezer. Calving starts in a month and it won't be long now until we have our own milk.

Seabrightmom, I've always heard that it is difficult to separate the cream from goat milk. Is this true?

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I wish there were some good dairies near me that would sell raw milk right from the cow, practically. The closest that I've found online would be about 1 1/2 hour drive each way! Nevermind the price of gas, I have better things to do with 3 hours.....how many goat milkings would that be?
Is that dairy farm in different state than you? In many states it is illegal to sell raw milk except to plants. That is where cow shares and trading come in. You can pay the farmer X amount of money to "own" part of a cow. The farmer keeps the cow and takes care of her and you get the milk amount agreed on. Or you make an agreement on trading X number of dozen eggs, produce, meat, etc. for X gallons of milk.

prairiegirl, it seems to me that with goats milk you need a separator to separate the cream and milk.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
prairiegirl, I had read a similar article about what is allowed in commercially produced milk! :sick

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Free, I've always wanted my own little Jersey cow. One of these days......... :fl
Me, too, Bee, me too! I even told DH I'd give up the Alpaca dream if I can have a Jersey milk cow!! If not a Jersey, I want a Beltie...so I can name her Oreo :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FK, it is legal in MA and CT to sell raw milk. But I live in the center of an area flanked by NYC, Boston, and Hartford, so dairy farms are rare as land prices are ridiculous and people keep horses here. Most of the horses I massage are owned by people who live in NYC.

Up by the Vermont border seems to be where the farms are. There might be something available nearby, but I can't locate it! Also, the ones that do sell, get a premium price for it (which I don't begrudge, I would get the most I could get, too. But it is not in my budget.)

It just seems easier to have a goat, especially after reading about the once-a-day milking method, which would fit into my ever-changing schedule.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get over or right at a gallon a day milking my Nubian. She has been in milk since the first of November. She is a great girl. The cream doesn't separate like in cows milk. If you leave the milk in the frig for a few days, some of the cream will come to the top. I know people who spoon at off and save it in the freezer in a bowl. They wait until the have a large amount, then they make butter. It takes awhile to get an amount to make anything out of. I just want to get a separator to speed up the process. Plus, I have another Nubian due the first of March and two or three due in May. I will have tons of milk even with bottle feeding the kids.

Sidenote, if anyone is looking for Nubian or mini Nubian bucks or wethers, I should have some for sale. I will only have does if they all have does, because my husband doesn't want me to have tons of goats. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Even a quart a day would fill our needs and then some! If she has doelings, she will raise them and I will borrow a quart if she can spare it. Depending on how the cheesemaking goes.....and I plan on trying the skimming method and attempting goat butter at least once. I can't see justifying the price of a separator for just the two of us, but I will keep my eye out for a used one.

A lot depends on how much weight I can get on her before she kids and how many kids she has and what they are. Bucks will be sold pretty quickly, I hope, before "anyone" gets attached to them!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is what I thought too, freemotion. But once, I started making cheeses and soap. I go through the milk. Plus, my son drinking a lot of it. Plus, the dogs and chickens like some once is awhile.
I really like making cheese. I made some cottege cheese yesterday and I am making some other cheese today. I haven't decided yet. I am not the best at it yet. But I am working on it.