NVBS (Are you curious?)

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need some valuable input to maintain my weekly menus and to keep the menu interesting . My ultimate goals are menus that include nutritional ingredients,vegetarian,budget friendly,and relatively speedy. I use recipegoldmine.com as a resource and need to explore other options as well. Thank you!

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
no prize but a big supersize cyber hug for your input!!!!!!!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sorry, I got nothing for ya. All my meal planning involves meat. Did you check out Dace's thread about her obsession? there are lots of vegetable ideas on there, but as for rounding them out to be a complete nutritious vegetarian meal, I am clueless.

There has to be other vegetarians on the forum, right?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would suggest changing the title of this thread....In search of quick cheap vegetarian meal ideas.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
I would suggest changing the title of this thread....In search of quick cheap vegetarian meal ideas.
I agree. Most of us do, or aspire to, live off the land, in a more or less agrarian lifestyle, and that includes all aspects of farming. Meat being the biggest one for us personally.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For SO and I, it's a lot of bean dip with corn chips, stir fry on rice, cowboy beans, and casseroles. Also, ethnic indian meals are frequently vegetarian and especially if you have a market nearby can be quite cheap. Just remember, beans/lentils and rice are cheap and make a complete protein. Go from there! And in cheap, I'm refering to dried beans (ex. organic black beans at our co-op are 99 cents a lb this month) and whole grain rice (brown rice was I think 1.25 this month? Don't think it was organic).

"alternative" grains are awesome too. Millet especially, so cheap but SOOOOO good. It's fairly high glycemic index though, so it spikes the blood pressure a bit, but if you eat it with leafy greens it drops that spike a lot and evens it all out.

For veggies, eat's what in season and "weird" and that's often cheapest. Right now, there are a lot of raabs around in my area. SUPER nutritious if you can get them. For veggies, it can also be a good idea to look at ethnic food markets if you can.

The most expensive stuff are meats, cheeses, milk, and all processed foods. Eggs are one of the best cost ratios for animal proteins. Hummus is the ultimate vegetarian power food for post-workout recoups.

Hope some of that helps! I don't really know where you're coming from or what you're doing now though, so that was the best I could do for the time!

ETA: all of the things I've listed can be made in less than 15 min invested work, generally. Get a crock pot and go to town. SO and I are students, so we don't have much time for cooking.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
try vegetariantimes.com

I have gotten a lot of good stuff from there.

Many of us here are not real meat eaters. I eat it on occasion but I tend toward the vegetarian side for health and other reasons (objection to factory farming for one).

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Millet especially, so cheap but SOOOOO good. It's fairly high glycemic index though, so it spikes the blood pressure a bit, but if you eat it with leafy greens it drops that spike a lot and evens it all out.
High GI foods spike blood sugar, not blood pressure.