oak park hates veggies

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have any of you heard about this? This poor woman is facing 93 days in jail for having 4 somewhat small garden boxes in her front yard. Her garden has lead her on a self-sufficient journey, but she is being squashed by the city she lives in.

Here is her blog: http://oakparkhatesveggies.wordpress.com/

Here is a local news story on it: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...nor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

and here is a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oak-Park-Hates-Veggies/184553881597878?v=wall

I just feel so badly for her.

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know! It's terrible! And scary. My family started our journey while living in the city. Garden, chickens. A lot of people are homesteading in the city with no problems! Why this family? It's absolutely absurd. There is now a petition to sign (you can sign anon if it makes you feel better), please consider signing. Taking away one families right to grow food just opens the door to take away other peoples rights. <sigh>

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
That's so stupid. A pub in our town has a veggie garden right outside its door- I think it's great! You know where the veggies come from.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just signed the petition. Sadly, she's not the only one that's been prosecuted for growing veggies instead of grass. It just blows my mind.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it is sad, but I feel the same way about neighborhoods where clotheslines are banned. I'm confused by groups of people who what to ban the tell-tale signs of human dwellings in their own neighborhood. Obviously, some rules are needed, but these rules seem too restrictive.

Sadly, I doubt that she'll win her case.

Also, sentencing is the final step in most cases. I hope the judge will have some discression.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:gig
"If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," he said.
:rolleyes:

S

sunsaver

Maggies Pop said:
I know! It's terrible! And scary. My family started our journey while living in the city. Garden, chickens. A lot of people are homesteading in the city with no problems! Why this family? It's absolutely absurd. There is now a petition to sign (you can sign anon if it makes you feel better), please consider signing. Taking away one families right to grow food just opens the door to take away other peoples rights. <sigh>
Big corporations are working with the government, in an effort to take away the peoples right to grow food. Watch the bi-partisan documentary film, Food Inc. This is about Human rights vs. Corporate control of food: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhOo1oRqH70

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
valmom--it's nice knowing your food sources, especially if you are out to eat! We live in a small community and a few of our farms and eateries have teamed up. Thats a great thing!

Marianne--thank you for signing! Every sig helps! Hopefully enough people will fight for her rights and make it easier for the next person they try to push around.

k15n1--amen to that! I love me some laundry lines!

Wifezilla--DITTO!

abifae--"common". So we are all suppose to be the same. BLAH!

sunsaver--yes, Food, Inc. is a great documentary. I think the Corporate control of food is what has me fired up most about this. Pretty soon this will be more common if we don't stand up and fight now.