oak park hates veggies

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Me too, I honestly hope the city gets whupped so hard they won't even be able to look people in the eyes (so to speak).

On the citizen insolence subject again (winkwink) I've had that second yellow flowered shrub ripped out. I'm thinking a couple lovely fruit trees, some nasturtiums, perhaps a culinary rosemary or other such herby plant would look lovely out front.

And the "body coorporate" can stick it, because it's OUR house, and we'll do whatever we damn well please with our landscaping!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
abifae said:
:gig
"If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," he said.
:rolleyes:
OK, here's the definition of suitable, and it doesn't say common.

Definition of SUITABLE
obsolete : similar, matching
a : adapted to a use or purpose <suitable for kitchen use> b : satisfying propriety

So I would say her garden is suitable. And, the petition is now over 5000 names!

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This has blown up on Oak Park, MI. The story has been covered in MENs, Grit, Time.com, The Daily Show Forum, Washington Post and various other news sources and magazines. I am positive they weren't expecting this! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Actually, I got to thinking about this today, and Oak Park is RIGHT for not wanting veggie gardens. You get them veggie gardens, and the next thing you know, people are wanting goats and chickens and that leads to Trouble with a capital "T" And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pigs! (Adapted a bit from the Music Man)

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woot! 13,350 signatures so far!

This is most satisfying. :D

Re: Wifezillas link:

Isn't that what they call rabble rousing? Not to mention all the sheep who are listening to his words without thinking...

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree that veggies growing in the front yard should be perfectly acceptable. (I just moved all my blueberry bushes to the front yard! ;)) But she could have gotten away with so much more had she done edible landscaping instead of utilitarian garden boxes. Not that I'm knocking her choice to refuse to to be "suitable" and boring like everyone else! :lol:

Some of Rosalind Creasy's gorgeous edible yards:

1119_edible_yard_3.jpg

1119_edible_yard_2.jpg

P.S. I hope someone has called in Food Not Lawns....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LH, I have a big whiskey barrel with love lies bleeding growing out of it. Nobody has any clue it is edible :D Same with flowering kale, johnny jump ups and the naturtiums.

I live in an unincorporated county area so I have old feed bags filled with dirt growing sweet potatoes along the driveway, a pole bean teepee, and planters filled with zucchini plants in the front yard :D Mine looks WAY more redneck than hers!