October beans - drying questions

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I want to keep my Octobers as a dried bean. Already some of the hulls have dried and the beans are rattling. Should I go ahead and pick those, shell and let them lay out to finish drying? While waitng for the rest to dry on the vine? Do I need to do anything else to preserve them?
Thanks

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is what I do. I usually put them into a colander for a few days to be sure they are good and dry before I jar them up. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
After shelling, I put mine in the freezer for about a week, to help prevent the bean weevils from hatching out, or any other bugs for that matter.
A deep freeze would be better, but I don't have one of those.
I have also heard of heating them in the oven for a while to kill the potential bug eggs that might be in and or on the beans. But I don't know at what temp, I was always concerned about the heat destroying nutrients.

There is nothing worse than going to make up a batch of beans from your garden and finding your jar of beans is filled with holey beans and bugs :sick trust me :hit

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does this include "green beans" too? :caf
My scarlet runner beans are past it, and I'd like to save them to plant in 2011.