Official Poll: What is your motivation to be more self-sufficient?

What motivates you to be self-sufficient?

• To cut & reduce costs

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • I want to know the food my family eats is safe and clean

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • I want to be fully prepared in the event of an emergency

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • I enjoy the fruits of my labor

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • To help the environment

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I don't want to rely on others for my needs

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • To generate additional income

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Most of us have a lot of reasons why we want to be more self-sufficient, but the order of "biggest reason" to "smallest reason" may be very different.

Here's a poll to find out what your top 2 reasons! NOTE: the poll will let you select more than two items, but please limit your votes so we know your main priority and motivation!

After you vote, reply to this thread with the reason why you voted the way you did.

If your top reasons aren't listed, please reply and let us know what it is.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It was hard to narrow it down to my top 2 choices, but I chose not wanting to be dependent on others and I enjoy it. Close behind would be to save money and I want to know where my food comes from.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Since Deb and I follow directions well, I'll reply, too. LOL :p

If I don't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. Fresh foods grown from start to finish does let you control the process.

I've the math over the years, and costs aren't necessarily reduced when you look at the big picture when you factor in your labor (assuming you have other things you could be doing). I am blessed enough in my life I have other options right now. :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang it, I work with high school/college students and we're always telling 'em that they need to read THOROUGHLY and follow directions.... I'm so shamed that I didn't do that, lol!

I agree with Deb and FJ. I love it - therefore I do it. It matters to me what my family eats and it doesn't et any better than totally, completely fresh. A couple days ago we had broccoli that was happily residing in the garden about ten minutes before we chowed down on it....you simply can't beat it. And the fact that it was organic is BONUS!

And, I do like being ready for an emergency. Living on the gulf coast we are occasionally on high alert for hurricanes. When so many others are raiding the grocery stores and gas stations for 'leftovers' I'm sitting at home at ease (well as much as you can be with a hurricane on your doorstep) knowing that I've got what I need to weather the storm. Literally.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great points and replies!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be glad when I get to the point of not needing to shop at all-except for things I can't grow myself-like chocolate. I had to go grocery shopping one time the day B4 they were calling for snow. The line literally went almost to the back of the store. I said never again.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We fit into the stated answers in certain ways. Motivation? My family wanted to live in the country. Unless you're wealthy and you hire many of the essentials done for you, then you do an awful lot for yourself. You meet opportunities and rise to challenges, and learn new skills.

An SS lifestyle is where you learn to multiply the value of your money. One household might be able to live as satisfyingly on $30K/year as another on double or triple that. Homesteading, as my wife and I see it, is about enjoying a satisfying life from our own efforts. Growing the salad veggies and also corn, onions, potatoes, tree fruits, berries, grapes, etc. We love the fresh food! Hence, big outdoor gardens and a greenhouse.

We've had chickens in the past and may keep them again in the future. Because we also worked at off-farm jobs, we're part of the local economy and we support our friends and neighbors who raise livestock. We also exchange time and services on a kind of barter basis. We don't feel we have to do everything for ourselves.

Many other aspects also grew naturally from our desire to live in the countryside without a huge bank income - summed up by saying you acquire a lot of practical and manual skills!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since we don't have a lot of money, cutting and reducing cost has always been important. Having lived through bouts of unemployment, and in areas where power could be knocked out for hours or a day, we've learned to be prepared for emergencies. Also, we live quite a ways from town and I don't like going in to shop more than once a week, lol.

StarWish624

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I really enjoy the mental challenge of trying to be frugal, finding alternative uses for things, or making things my self, instead of buying stuff. Plus- doing things in different ways is like learning new skills. This problem-solving, using my imagination, is really emotionally rewarding (as well as generally financially rewarding, by saving time/money). When something that I try works - I am soooo happy. It is fun!

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my goals is to serve Thanksgiving dinner with everything on the table grown or raised on my property.
I enjoy gardening. I enjoy using what I grow. I enjoy being a good steward of my land. But most of all I am cheap (frugal?) with a deeply developed sense of guilt (parochial school!) toward wasting things.

Latest posts