Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

• Growing my own vegetables

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Growing my own fruits

• Growing my own fruits and vegetables

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Raising my own meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canning my own food

• Preserving food

• Making soap or household cleaners

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Start your own income-generating activities

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With some things -- especially root crops -- a really heavy mulch will work instead of row covers. Far North, where ground freeze is several inches, you need more. But you have leaves that make really good mulch for this. Some crops can be kept in a cellar by just putting them into slightly moist sand.....similar to the heavy mulch outside...the plant stays alive, almost dormant, and maintains pretty well. I'm feeding turnips to my pigs & chickens that were planted last year & spent winter in ground. Some are getting a little pithy but, only a very few has bad spots. These were not even mulched! Our winter has been fairly mild but, no consideration for preserving them was made. A neighbor gave them to me for pulling them up. About 15 bushel.

Had these had heavy leaves thrown over them, probably would still be excellent condition. Those & angel beets are being planted here for winter fodder for next year, with only mulch to help preserve. Carrots & potatoes will do same.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To use the quote function here, just click the quote as per usual and then, when you go to the box to write your message, you'll see a button on the bottom left that says "insert quote" and hit it. Should put your quote right in your post.

A four season harvest refers to planting cold hardy crops in Aug/Sept so they can reach maturity during the fall, then protecting them from freezing during the winter time by using high or low tunnels, field houses, row covers, etc. It's sort of using the garden all winter as a big crisper drawer for fresh greens, root crops and some brassicas.

So, as you are harvesting your regular crops in the garden in the summer time, you're also planting crops to harvest in the winter months. In the early spring you are planting the same cold hardy crops for a late spring harvest of the same. Then the summer crops planted in spring start to bear, then you just keep that going indefinitely. That way your garden is being used for growing/storing fresh food all year round.

I've never gone that far in my gardening but plan to do so this year. Usually I just plant early spring crops, then the regular crops of veggies that are not cold hardy and finish by fall.

Thanks for that explanation. You will have to let us know how that works for you since it is a new venture for you.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - Glad the pigsters have done their job! Mine aren't big rooters - but man oh man - where they DO root it's like a moonscape! And, the clay that they root up dries like concrete as soon as the sun hits it - so it does make for some uneven, ankle twisting balancing acts! I'd love to turn mine loose to run the pastures, but I'm still trying to figure a way to separate them from the goats at feeding time.

@Beekissed - Wow - I'm always impressed with the recycling/upcycling that you do. My mind just doesn't work that way - and I really wish it did. I do some simple things, like constantly re-using stock panels in different configurations and finding some interesting things to use in the garden. Last year I took some heavy tree trimmings and used them for stakes to grow climbing beans on. Stuck 'em in the ground and strung hay string between them for a very unique, very redneck bean support.

In other news - I'm concentrating this year on having a little 'round robin' farm. Hoping that every little project will help support every other little project. I'm already using goat milk and boiled eggs for the pigs. They love it! I've had a couple chicken losses this week and I've been tempted to toss them to the pigs, but don't want to plant any chicken eating ideas in the pigs since a lot of my chickens love to follow the pigs.

Wishing that I could do some serious cross-fencing so that I could plant some paddock areas in crops that the goats could browse and the pigs could follow along. Maybe someday....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
(Psst, MH, Easter is the 27th, not the 31st. The 31 is a Thursday.)

Bee, I'm really interested in seeing your hive once it's done. I think it will work well.

My income generating idea is a bit different than others. I plan on offering nature lessons to various places. So far, I haven't had a chance to get my cover letter written, but even w/out doing that, I had someone contact me! It's a start.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took the pigs to slaughter this morning. Disced up the garden yesterday evening after loading the pigs in trailer. Our 4 ewes had 6 lambs, one was born dead, leaving me with 5 lambs. 3 ewes and 2 rams, now wethered. Still haven't planted fruit trees, but stuck pink flags in the ground where they are to be planted. I found a gorgeous Dorper 5 month old ram to be my flock sire, have to build him a pen before I can go get him. The lady is going to hold him for me. I am blessed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your beehive project is so cool....kinda like a science project with a sweet result! Hope your apple trees don't get frostbite!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've noticed more bees this year also. Last year I swear I didn't see nary a bee. Hopefully, they're making a comeback. Good luck with your hive! Someday I might give it a try, but too many irons in the fire right now.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice job, Beekissed! Hope bees arrive soon.
115.gif

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice! I think it looks just as good as the hives I see around here.