Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

• Make your own ______ (e.g. bread, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • Maintain a vegetable / fruit garden

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Raise my own livestock

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • Use discount coupons

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Recycle / Repurpose

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Buy at Thrift shops

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Can / Preserve / Freeze your own

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Cook at home and avoid eating at restaurants

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

Dianna Starr

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@Dianna Starr I'm with you there! I'd love to own a place mortgage free as well. With the properties priced low as they are here in Ireland at the moment, a place with lots of TLC needed may just happen for me sometime. I'd love to see pics of your renovation and projects etc, if you have some to share? Just head down to one of the social or random topic sections and hit the "Start a new thread" button and post away :)

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the house I live in there's a dishwasher ( my Uncle bought it when it was just my cousin here seeing how my cousin didn't like doing dishes so he just let them stack up) which I don't use even though it is an energy saver to help cut down on the electric bill. My cousin still doesn't do dishes not even with the dishwasher. There's also a washer and dryer even though I wish I didn't have to use the dryer but my Uncle won't put up or allow me to put up a clothes line. Wish I could so it would cut down even more on the electric bill.
Don't have to worry about a water bill seeing how we have well water but with the price of propane and kerosene attempting to cut down on how often I use the stove ( not using so much of the furnace anymore seeing how winter is gone).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Country homesteader , my clothesline is literally falling down, but because of that I've discovered I can hang out a load of laundry on an indoor folding clothing drying rack and hang shirts on hangers. The indoor clothes drying rack is small enough I can carry it outside.

We don't need a clothesline anymore. If we ever catch up on our to-do list, we'll remove it rather than repair.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do have a folding drying rack but I'm just afraid that even if I had clothes on it the chickens would think it was a rooster and perch themselves on it. Remember the chickens are free range so they are all over.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
LOL! I've been trying to plant seeds and darn chickens keep eating them. DH says to feed them something better somewhere else. :lol:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sister puts a drying rack in her bathroom or bedroom to dry clothes. I'm thinking I need to string a clothesline on my back porch to save on electricity. With a big family like mine it would save a lot.

People from our church brought us a lot of firewood today and said they have a lot more. They've already brought us about 4 cord today and have at least that much more to bring later in the week. Last winter when we didn't have money for firewood and was burning pine boards they brought us a cord of wood.

They won't take money and say they just need to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure they don't have to cut and split it to get rid of it but do it as servants of Christ.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my Uncle won't put up or allow me to put up a clothes line
Have a treadmill? They make a great place to hang clothes to dry, lol. Don't ask me how I know...geeze. But, I have one of those folding racks too. I keep it in a hallway right under an air conditioning duct. Those clothes dry fast! I also put shirts/pants on hangers. I have a shelf in my laundry room that I hang them from.

Maybe you could put a retracting line somewhere outside....it would only be visible when you're using it and would then roll back up...?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I do have a folding drying rack but I'm just afraid that even if I had clothes on it the chickens would think it was a rooster and perch themselves on it. Remember the chickens are free range so they are all over.
That is exactly what mine did and they broke it :barnie

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
People from our church brought us a lot of firewood today and said they have a lot more. They've already brought us about 4 cord today and have at least that much more to bring later in the week. Last winter when we didn't have money for firewood and was burning pine boards they brought us a cord of wood.

They won't take money and say they just need to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure they don't have to cut and split it to get rid of it but do it as servants of Christ.
That was really kind of them!

Latest posts