Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

• Make your own ______ (e.g. bread, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • Maintain a vegetable / fruit garden

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Raise my own livestock

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • Use discount coupons

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Recycle / Repurpose

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Buy at Thrift shops

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Can / Preserve / Freeze your own

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Cook at home and avoid eating at restaurants

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I was up at 4:30 & at feed store when they unlocked the door at 8AM. Then back for trailer to go get a load of lime for the fields, before the rain predicted for Sun-Wed. Well it was nice when I got up, now? -- winds about 35mph. Can't spread lime...but, will between now & Sunday night. It's all covered and ok until I get to it.

On way home, I stopped at our "Habitat" resale store. Occasionally some good stuff happens, not always BUT with wind I knew I was slowed for farm work. Take a look.

Glory be!! I find a dehydrator for $8. :) Not fancy, not all the bells and whistles but, looks to never have been used. It's box shows signs of sitting near a window for a long time judging from the sun fade on one side. Been wanting one but, $300 for an Excaliber was just not for me. I mean, I don't know if I will even WANT to use it often. This is a Ronco and a 3 tray model (no longer made, just 5 tray ones) and inside there were 4 trays. Heck the extra tray was $9.95 on the website. So, I download the book for the 5 tray -- same unit -- and I'm ready to roll, er to dry. If I like the effort, I can move on up to the bigger & better ones. Until then, el cheapo runs.

Also got 15 wide mouth pint canning jars, with rings for 25cent each. I buy when I find them.

OK, now I need to find something to dehydrate. There are some potatoes in the kitchen (they were free!) I'll whip out that mandolin slicer and make chips. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Something I do that most people think is crazy-I weigh out my horse feed. It is then placed in bags and the bags are placed in old kitty litter buckets. The bags have the name of the horse that it gets fed to on them, and each is in a different color bucket. The ink on the name corresponds to the color of the feed bucket and the lid on the kitty litter container. This way I know exactly how much feed my horses are getting and can adjust the amount if needed. I save money doing this since there's no guess work involved. The directions on the feed says how much to give in weight, not volume. And different types of feed can have a way different volume.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Burn wood most of the year instead of using oil heat. Home repairs: hubby does all of our electrical and plumbing, some automotive. We built our home, have been mortgage free for years. Not spending the money in the first place is a great way to save money. We made 2 incubators, current DIY project is: refinishing a solid maple night stand that I plucked off the burn pile at the town dump. I'm an avid dump picker.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
cooked turkey in oven while I bush hogged a couple acres -- shared 1/2 turkey with DD on her way home from work. We'll both eat lunches several days from this. Put a pot of split peas in pot over the vent from oven -- cooked those from just oven heat -- AND heated house. I'm good!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I buy quite a lot of berries for my morning smoothies, rasp berries, strawberries, blue berries, etc. And they are NOT cheap here, since most are imported, though I learned the watch the marked down fridge in the supermarket and grab them when they are at 1/2 price. Two days ago I picked up a garden catalogue in the pub of all places and found plants at a good price… Hmm. Grow my own berries, save a lot of money long term, especially since I can freeze the extras. Makes sense.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm planning not just for retirement, but SS retiring too. We all know eventually the vast majority of us will have the knowledge to do all of these things but maybe not the capability. Life DOES happen, and it happens to our bodies too, not just our finances. I'd like to think I could be self reliant into my 90's or longer God willing I actually make it that far, but I don't see myself raising all of my food, animals, etc. etc. etc. at that age, and the new quality of life I've grown accustomed to by knowing and doing is very very expensive when it's someone else knowing and doing and my place to pay for it...just saying...something to really think about.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm changing how I do things around here. First transition is doing things in a way I can handle them if DH were to die suddenly. Our plan is to buy a rental house that I could move to and sell the farm if he died suddenly. Second transition, which is similar, is doing thing in a way we can handle them when we're older. DH wants to farm literally until he dies, but his knees are just not going to last that long.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planning ahead is always a good thing. DH and I are talking about this two story house....we found out how UN-doable it was when the old folks were living here. But, we do have a plan. Just need to decide when to start.

I'm like your DH - plan to do this as long as I'm able and can afford feed, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well -- I am so glad that my little reminder is being so very well considered as none of us are getting younger. Yep, a fact! I am blessed with excellent health! I did take an Alleve at bedtime last night because 12 hrs of moving gallons of jugs of laundry detergent told me I would be a little sore this AM if I didn't. It was good that I did because another 6 hrs reset today. :D My job is very physical and it's as good as a free gym membership! So far I'm keeping up with those 20-30 years younger. But that could change in an instant. You never know. If the darned black cat doesn't stay out from under my feet when I go to the barn at night -- well, that instant could arrive.

I do consider how I do things, if there is an easier way, less expensive, all those things. For me, I must be able to work alone and that is why my little tractor is so important. The muscle and strength I need to help -- lift, pull, dig, grade, etc. Not everything gets done now as I would like -- sharing myself with work time so I can be debt free sooner. It's MY challenge. And, yes, I try to decide where I will cut back, what I can manage and all that. Animal feed is expensive for hay, grains, etc. Probably my #1 consideration for control. I have everything else pretty pared down. I do very little shopping & for needs primarily.
(Yes, a new buckling can be a need!)

Bay, you may be waiting for medicare to do those knees. I've had mine 7 yrs and never used it. No need. In fact, I'm thinking it should be set up like car insurance, you know -- reduce the deductible for each year no have no claims??? YES!!:old That would be very good.