officially firewood season has started for me

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok I enjoy skidding logs, using my chain saw, and splitting rounds with my maul.
Its kind of like a gym membership that you don't have to pay for and it benefits you with a pile of fire wood. " People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein- What kind of an axe or maul do you use ? I prefer the Truper 4 1/2 lb maul with a fiberglass handle.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta admire the work you put in to heat with wood. We don't do too much of that in my part of Texas!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I HATE firewood! Lol we use wood pellets currently, 6 tons worth per winter. $1500 a year... Maybe someday we'll go back to wood but, so much work and so little time!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, yes I do. And that $1500 does not include electricity to run the boiler or anything, just pellets. Sigh.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, yes I do. And that $1500 does not include electricity to run the boiler or anything, just pellets. Sigh.
I thought those New England'ers loved firewood and Tom Brady ( My Dads family all from Ma & NH ) :cool:
Cost of firewood = gas & oil for chainsaw and 4-5 weekends of free gym membership :)

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a splitting maul like that as well.

I prefer the gas splitter with all my health issues.

I have a little 3 lb hand kindling maul that works well for dividing chunks of cedar and fir smaller for the stove. Swinging something hammer size is easier on me than a full size maul.

Latest posts