officially firewood season has started for me

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:thumbsup beautiful pics love the cabin :thumbsup

Thank you! My dad and mom built that, along with the "help" of my boys when they were little. That was Dad's 3rd cabin build, though he had no carpentry training, and all have stood the test of time, very sturdy and tight.

It's not fancy, but it's durable and we love it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My daughter has a battery one. I am amazed at the power it has! Won't cut huge logs as the blade isn't long enough but, we have cut some from both sides and really works well. She paid about 150 for it...2 batteries. I'm impressed with it. Great for the limbs and smaller trees. She also has a splitter. Working doesn't leave a lot of time for all that work and she can split a whole tree in an afternoon, stacked and all.
That sounds like it would be perfect for me! I'm not wild about the petrol powered ones, once you burned through all that and the oil you need to add, it's not terribly economic. And it smells...

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you! My dad and mom built that, along with the "help" of my boys when they were little. That was Dad's 3rd cabin build, though he had no carpentry training, and all have stood the test of time, very sturdy and tight.

It's not fancy, but it's durable and we love it.
That's awesome. How did they lift the logs with pulleys or machinery ?
What memories and learning experience for your Boys to work with your Dad on a project of that scale.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's awesome. How did they lift the logs with pulleys or machinery ?
What memories and learning experience for your Boys to work with your Dad on a project of that scale.

No machinery or pulleys...just other logs to roll them up on and a system of ropes that we pulled. All the cabins he built were done without any use of electricity or machinery beyond a chainsaw to cut the logs and score the notches so they could be knocked out with the ax.

On the second cabin, Mom got in the way of the ropes when one of the logs slipped and started coming back down the skid logs...caught her at the back of her neck and face planted her quick and hard into the ground. Remarkably she wasn't the least bit injured, though it was a shock and it hurt at the time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That sounds like it would be perfect for me! I'm not wild about the petrol powered ones, once you burned through all that and the oil you need to add, it's not terribly economic. And it smells...

Not sure what they are like over there, Sumi, but here the gas powered splitters don't need oil added all the time...just changed out every once in awhile like most machinery. And they don't really smell bad nor use a lot of gas...I can split quite a huge pile of logs on one tank of gas...and we have an older model of splitter, so I imagine the newer ones are even more fuel efficient.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Not sure what they are like over there, Sumi, but here the gas powered splitters don't need oil added all the time...just changed out every once in awhile like most machinery. And they don't really smell bad nor use a lot of gas...I can split quite a huge pile of logs on one tank of gas...and we have an older model of splitter, so I imagine the newer ones are even more fuel efficient.
I meant gas powered chain saws. Thankfully (or unfortunately?) I don't need a splitter at the moment, though that may come in handy in future.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No machinery or pulleys...just other logs to roll them up on and a system of ropes that we pulled. All the cabins he built were done without any use of electricity or machinery beyond a chainsaw to cut the logs and score the notches so they could be knocked out with the ax.

On the second cabin, Mom got in the way of the ropes when one of the logs slipped and started coming back down the skid logs...caught her at the back of her neck and face planted her quick and hard into the ground. Remarkably she wasn't the least bit injured, though it was a shock and it hurt at the time.
That's true WV grit "Montani Semper Liberi"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi, I believe her electric chainsaw is a Works. I'll find out for you. Yes, the cost of gas/oil is a lot really. This one is reasonably quiet, just far more powerful than one would expect. The batteries charge faster than many but, she keeps them charging on days the get heavy use.

We try to pull fallen limbs, small trees back to house for later cut/split. Some days we've gone into woods and cut larger ones into manageable lengths, loaded into tractor front end loader and make trips that way. Lot of work.:D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, I believe her electric chainsaw is a Works. I'll find out for you. Yes, the cost of gas/oil is a lot really. This one is reasonably quiet, just far more powerful than one would expect. The batteries charge faster than many but, she keeps them charging on days the get heavy use.

We try to pull fallen limbs, small trees back to house for later cut/split. Some days we've gone into woods and cut larger ones into manageable lengths, loaded into tractor front end loader and make trips that way. Lot of work.:D
Thank you! I usually collect whatever fallen branches, etc I can get and hand saw them. That is a lot of work! I love doing it, but with my wrist still iffy at times and other things wanting my time and attention here, it's getting hard to stay on top of it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I love that you're using your horse!

If we had a tractor (or horse!) and wood splitter, DH said he'd switch to firewood. But we'd need minimum 6 cords a year so it would get overwhelming quickly.

Love the cabins, we've always wanted to build one. Cabins are taxed differently here, novelty tax or something? Ridiculous