officially firewood season has started for me

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I love that you're using your horse!

If we had a tractor (or horse!) and wood splitter, DH said he'd switch to firewood. But we'd need minimum 6 cords a year so it would get overwhelming quickly.

Love the cabins, we've always wanted to build one. Cabins are taxed differently here, novelty tax or something? Ridiculous
Thats a strange tax I assume its higher ? Im thinking NH has no sales tax ......

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A friend of ours who has a cabin said it is higher, I had never heard of it either. Correct, no sales tax. Or income tax. Just crazy high property tax!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here in northern Wisconsin, most of the firewood is either oak or maple. I love the smell of the smoke from an oak fire, it brings back memories of hot chocolate and cookies in front of the fireplace.
My parents have a neighbor who installed on of those outdoor woodburners furnace thingy's - good-golly, I don't know what he is burning in there but it really stinks. It stinks up the whole neighborhood. Alot of their neighbors have wood fireplaces, so it used to be nice to step outside and catch a wiff of the neighbors fireplace, but not anymore.

Back in Wyoming, we burnt Ponderosa Pine. All beetle killed and standing dead on a neighbors (8 miles down the road) property. We were "helping" her by taking the wood away so she didn't have to worry about a wildfire. the smoke from the pine wasn't too bad either, but the smoke from the elm we bought from Nebraska was not pleasant.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So, finally got around to putting in firewood, as we've been so very busy with other things this season....left it kind of late, I know, but we are having unseasonably warm weather in which to gather it, so I'm thanking the Lord for that!

The logging we had done left a giant pick up sticks kind of pile of stump wood on the landing site~about 16 ft tall and 25-30 ft diameter~ and we are slowly working our way through that. Some of those stumps are 3-4 ft. across, so it's a little hard going to get them down to firewood size. Our 20 yr old splitter is running well, just put-putting away, for which I'm also thankful.

After we get the shed and the porch full, we'll take a break from wood and start building more fence, then come back to getting wood stored under the new pole shed addition we added to the wood shed. All the while this will help us clear tree tops from off the land, left behind by the logging.

Got 5 wagon loads into the shed these past few days and hope to get 6 more into the shed by the end of the week...that's with one day off to go to town to scavenge for leaves. Need to build a hoop shelter to store those for the winter, as my spare coop is full of cockerels growing out for butchering.

It's a busy season and we've had the best weather this week!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sooooooo miss a fire place or wood heater. There just isn't room where the heat wouldn't be too close to something. But! we could put it in the stupidly too big master bathroom! WHY make it so BIG? I could have used some of that space for a bigger kitchen/dining area and had space for a wood heater! We even have a big lightening killed oak tree that needs to come down, would make a HUGE pile of firewood. :hit

Self pity party is over, y'all enjoy your wood gathering!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
stupidly too big master bathroom! WHY make it so BIG?
Totally agree! My daughter's master bath is larger than my master bedroom (and it's not that small lol). I don't want to heat and cool a room that gets used just a few times a day... :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember a bathroom that I used to have to clean for a customer- 2 major sized showers (big enough that you could lie down flat on the floor, while someone else was sitting on the built-in seat), PLUS a big spa-sized jacuzzi tub. It had two toilets in two separate cubbies, and two separate sinks in a counter that was easily 12 feet long. Between that and the master bedroom (two king sized beds!), their bedroom suite was bigger than all but one of the houses I've ever lived in.

Latest posts