Oh my gosh! I fixed our clothes washing machine! Also, front loader?

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't get a front loader it is awful!
just keep fixing the old machine

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Huh, why?!? You can't say something like that and leave us hanging!!!

Details.... we need details!!!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Kenmore HE front loader, we've had it for about five years. I love the capacity. As for any kind of detergent causing problems, you should be using less. I use about half of what's normally called for, and I use powdered detergent, and I've had no problem with the clothes getting clean. I will say the only problem I have with it are very heavy loads, lots of towels or jeans - I have to remember to push the extra spin button or they come out too wet, which means I have to run them through the drain and spin cycle one more time (takes 11 minutes). Other than that I've had no problems.

Rob, buy her a new machine, you won't regret it - and she'll love it!

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Huh, why?!? You can't say something like that and leave us hanging!!!

Details.... we need details!!!
:lol: my family had a Speed Queen front loader (top of the line $1000 machine) several things broke, including the door latch (can't start with out it), the belt, the computer board etc.
it stopped cleaning the clothes and everyone in the household got rashes before we realized that it was the washing machine and not the soap (spent a lot of money on new detergents) and we were going to the laundry mat when we had this $1000 machine sitting in the laundry room.

to make a really long story short the company bought the machine back and we bought a $400 top loader at Home depot and it is great plus we got a service call the same day that we called!

ETA: my Mother the accountant calculated that a top loader that allows you to adjust the load size uses less water then a front loader

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, my new top load washer is supposed to be here Thursday!
After spending a whole day picking the brains of salesmen (pretty sure we drove the poor Sears guy to drinking), hours reading comments online, and hours trying to convince Hubby that I could find other ways to spend 3400!
I was relieved to find out the front loader would have taken up too much space in our small laundyroom/entryway/place we pile our boots and shoes!

I wanted a quiet machine that could do BIG loads.
According to one guy, eletrolux and samsung where the only ones with the good bla bla bla technology, that kept them from bouncing during the spin cycle?

From what I understand, my new "energy saving" washer won't let me adjust the water levels! (I don't like that)

I guess I will know Thursday if I made the right decison?

Oh, the home depot guy said they will be having one of their no interest things on washers soon.

NancyDz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Good thread as I may be in the market for a new washer any day. I just moved and my washer seems to get stuck while filling with water.. the water just drains out and it keeps trying to fill? It's weird because I'll do two loads with no problem and then the next one will be filling for an hour. I'm wasting a ton of water but since its sporadic I dont always realize. Any ideas on what could cause this? It seems to happen more with smaller loads.

Nancy

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, we're probably going to go forward with this.

Here is one at the Sears Outlet (brand new):
http://www.searsoutlet.com/3-6-cu-f...ails.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=527&pn=1&ps=50&pid=5838

$449 and then we have a $20 coupon. It qualifies for the energy / water saving rebates with our local power / water agencies so that is $200 back... so in theory it ends up being about $230.

My only concerns are:

1) If we should get a "higher end" model
2) The warranty on these units and if we'll have problems

I'd get one from Costco in a heartbeat if they sold front load washers alone (vs. in a pair with a dryer). I'd even pay up to $800 for one from Costco just because of their return policy.

Reaction score
The only difference with higher end models usually is the added options. If you probably wont use the extra option don't get it.They are all basically the same. I had a repair guy tell me that Maytag made Kenmore and Whirlpool. Or one of those combination's. I would get the extended warranty. If your house takes a lightning hit, it will fry the mother board unless you have grounding rods and a whole house surge protector. Small surges will kill them.

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
what ever you buy do not buy an "energy star" machine they never wash the clothes on hot even if you set it to hot.
below is a link to the machine that we just bought it is great I recommend it to everyone:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

the only down side is that home depot said that they could not install it because of the type of water hose that we had I installed it in 5 minutes with my 10 year old brother :lol:

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, we got back from the Sears Outlet. Here's what happened:

Looked at the "new" machine and it sure didn't look new. I told the sales guy that maybe they were showing me the wrong one since they had a new and used one. He brought me to another machine that looked much newer, but was a completely different LG model. He said "How about this one?" I noticed it was MUCH nicer and MUCH more expensive. The list price was $1499 and marked down to $887 at the outlet. I jokingly said, "Ya, if you give it to me at the price of the $449 one!" ;)

He said, "Sure!"

:th

here is the model:
http://www.searsoutlet.com/4-5-cu-f...p?stxt=wm2801h&md=srh_md&pn=1&ps=50&pid=10464

I usually don't get extended warranties, and since the list price was so high the 3 year warranty came to $250!!! I knew he'd get a good commission and since I was getting a $1500 machine for $449, and for the peace of mind of knowing I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking in a year I went for it, so out the door was $721.

It qualifies for the $200 rebate, so that basically brings the price down to $521.

BTW did you see how huge it is!?!? 4.5 cubic feet!!! We can stick our children in there... AT THE SAME TIME! It also has a bunch of fancy steam features that we may or may not use.

Moral of the story: Doesn't hurt to ask for something else / better price... worst they can say is no.

Twas a good day!

:thumbsup

(will be even better if once we hook it up it works and washes our clothes properly) ;)

Latest posts