Oh yuck...now I know why I avoid processed food

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't check out the link, but I know what it says. I drive a truck and know that if the temps on a refer aren't held properly ie the stuff gets warm and spoils, it gets sent to a processing facility where it is cooked and turned into another product like taco bell meat.....

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Anyone for a taco? :sick
Let's not even consider the huge percentage of SAND they use as filler...sorry, silica dioxide....and you don't even want to know what chicken nuggets are. What do you think fast food joints use to make their buns? Most people would assume wheat flour of some sort right? Try cotton seed hulls. Then almost all bread purchased from a store or restaurant has a fair amount of plaster of paris in it....The FDA actually allows a certain percentage of "non-food" in everything we buy, this accommodates rat and bird droppings as well as the rats and birds themselves. I know this is going to sound like an urban legend but I swear it to be true....When in junior high school in MN, my friends father worked at a hormel plant processing "meat" into hot dogs and bologna. The giant vats of rendering material (basically liquified animal parts) are VERY hot and there are catwalks above them for workers to take periodic samples. Long story short, his father fell into one of the vats and was pretty much instantly liquified into the "meat". Since his body mass fell within the allowed parameters based on the total amount already in the vat, he was more or less just processed in. I know, sick stuff huh. I know WAY too much about our food, try not to think about it until the SHTF, then think about it lots because we may be forced to eat things we would never otherwise eat and it could help make things easier.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Yikes!!!!!! I remember something like that happening to a fellow in an orange juice plant in the 70s in FL. I squeeze my own, thank you! Actually, usually just eat the orange.

urbanchickymama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
BirdBrain said:
Anyone for a taco? :sick
Let's not even consider the huge percentage of SAND they use as filler...sorry, silica dioxide....and you don't even want to know what chicken nuggets are. What do you think fast food joints use to make their buns? Most people would assume wheat flour of some sort right? Try cotton seed hulls. Then almost all bread purchased from a store or restaurant has a fair amount of plaster of paris in it....The FDA actually allows a certain percentage of "non-food" in everything we buy, this accommodates rat and bird droppings as well as the rats and birds themselves. I know this is going to sound like an urban legend but I swear it to be true....When in junior high school in MN, my friends father worked at a hormel plant processing "meat" into hot dogs and bologna. The giant vats of rendering material (basically liquified animal parts) are VERY hot and there are catwalks above them for workers to take periodic samples. Long story short, his father fell into one of the vats and was pretty much instantly liquified into the "meat". Since his body mass fell within the allowed parameters based on the total amount already in the vat, he was more or less just processed in. I know, sick stuff huh. I know WAY too much about our food, try not to think about it until the SHTF, then think about it lots because we may be forced to eat things we would never otherwise eat and it could help make things easier.
Hormel Bologna- now with more Bob in every bite!!

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about Bob? :lol:

My Dad's friend worked at a green bean packing plant. As a joke one of the guys brought in a green garden snake and turned it loose in the beans. It was a long time before Dad's friend could bring himself to eat canned beans.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For those of us with uncommon food allergies this is scary. My self and my 5 yr old son are deathly allergic to oranges. Even the artifical orange flavoring uses orange peel.
Anybody wonder why so many kids have adhd, all the cancers, and many other ailments that did not seem as prevailant in previous generations.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ICK... :sick I am really, really, really allergic to mold to the point that penicillin is a killer for me.. I can't even eat some pepperoni/salami/blue cheeses. too much penicillin. makes eating a real challenge.. just a bit of mold in a loaf is enuf to have me wheezing.. so I make my own bread too.. a lot.