Ohayo from Ohio!

Shizuka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

I'm in Ohio, growing zone 6A. It's pretty mild, though it feels like we've had a hot summer this year.

2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?

My children. I want to be able to always provide for them.

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?

I grow some of my own food, and I raise chickens and use their eggs. I'd like to learn more about herbalism and growing herbs to use in a medicinal manner.

4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?

To a degree, yes. We're always stocking up on canned goods, but I'd really like to learn how to can and preserve my own harvests.

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

I can sew, and I can knit and crochet a little bit. I'm afraid trying to teach my kids how to sew hasn't gone the best, as I don't always have the best patience.

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Technically, no. I have chickens because they're considered therapy animals and I have a prescription for them. It's still been a battle with the village, and we want to eventually move further out to the country (we already live in a rural area) and start a sheep farm.

7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

I love to garden, but I'm not the best at it. I'm terrible at starting from seed so far, but my tomatoes tend to be fairly prolific when I start from seedlings. I love growing edibles and flowers, and I'm particularly excited when something blooms or when I see a new fruit/vegetable.

8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

Sometimes, with bait.

9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?

We have a relatively small lot (I'm not sure of the exact size, tbh) in a rural village that (as we learned after moving here) thinks itself too fancy for farming life.

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

I want to learn more about animal husbandry and carpentry. I don't currently have a specialty.

11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?

I wish!

12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?

Absolutely yes.

13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

On a cattle farm. My husband wants to raise sheep, but I love cows.

14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

I do not, but my husband knows how to use one as his grandfather used one.

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?

I love to cook when I have the energy to. I've never tried raw milk, but I'm not against it, and we just started getting our own farm fresh eggs from our chickens.

16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

I would love to, but I'm not familiar with what can be found around me.

17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?

Growing vegetables, and I've had good luck with my herbs this year too!

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?

Not yet, but we've discussed putting them in eventually if we stay here.

19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?

We have not, and I would have to research more about the requirements before I made that decision.

20. Do you make things yourself to save money?

I try to recycle things into other items, such as downed branches into perches for my chickens, and composting.

21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

I think it's made us more frugal with our spending. We're less likely to just buy something if we can just fix what we already have.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Welcome! I recommend sheep. 😁

Don't be shy about not having your forever farm and livestock yet. I wish I had learned more SS skills when I lived in town! I lived in a large-ish city for the first year or 2 I was on this forum. Then in a rural town for another 5 years ish. Please dont feel like you are less SS because you arent on a farm. I made myself feel that way... but then when we finally got our farm I regretted not having made the most of my city time. 🤷‍♀️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Western Washington

You just do what you can to be self sufficient where you are. Even in an apartment there are things you can do.

Latest posts