oil candles

Tracyfeltsmills

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a hurricane latern lover and i'm looking at oit candles also, i was wondering what you burn in them? The hurricane oil bottle says not for oil candles. Any frugal ideas thanks great site!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a gallon of something called ultra pure liquid paraffin oil and we use it in our old kerosene lamps and it doesn't smoke or stink and I just checked the back label--it says it is fine for oil candles. We got it at Menards for $9.99 a gallon. I may have to pick up another gallon to add to the STASH!;) We only have two oil lamps right now and one is bent/broken! Looking at it tho I think it can be "rebent" back into shape if it is done carefully. I might have to pick up another couple and call them Christmas gifts to the house! lol

ETA: Almost forgot to add-- if you switch from kerosene to liquid paraffin- put in new wicks! we didn't the first time with one of the lamps and it smoked and sputtered and didn't burn at all! We put a new wick in and it was fine.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We burn them LOTs and LOTs. They give me the illusion of warmth in the winter ;)

My own version is a jelly jar with a dorked up lip, a weighted votive wick and regular veggie oil.
1736_dscf0891.jpg

and the top view. I am not a photographer so don't laugh at my pics :p

1736_dscf0892.jpg

In a pinch when I am without weighted wicks I will take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and make a kind of flower float to put a bit of wick in the center. It takes a bit of practice but you get the hang of it quick. I find its a nice use for canning jars I can't can with anymore and when I have oil left in the jar, I just throw an old lid and ring on it.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can get them from craft stores but you will pay more for them there. Lots of department stores still have craft sections in the smaller towns. I get mine from the local variety store. I think a package of 10 costs about a buck.

Latest posts