ok...a bit corny

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kinda off subject, but the fuzzy part of the cattail is called kapok, and it makes a good insulator, like down.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie...I drove past some bull rushes yesterday...and thought of you sounds interesting

Britesea thanks for your wealth of great information...sounds scrumptious...
and using them in the smoker is absolutely brilliant...

baymule...humhhh...doesn't quite sound all that fluffy soft...

snapshot...I had heard that one too but haven't tried it yet...I did try to grind the silks in my kitchen
aid attachment...did not work well...don't know what I was thinking

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I think I will just break or cut the silk as small as I can get it and make tea--kinda like tea leaf size.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was on another site, and someone posted that they made corn cob jelly. I don't have a clue as to how they did it-they were having problems getting it to set-but that might be something you want to look into.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Actually, kapok comes from the kapok tree, a tropical tree of the Malvaceae family. It is being considered as a down alternative.

The cattail fuzz is sometimes called down, and can be a down alternative. The seeds in the cattail head can kill mice (but should be kept away from pets, other animals and kids)

And you guys are scaring me with the corncob bathroom jokes! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kapok used to be used as life belt stuffing (like on the Titanic) as well as for throw pillows and sofa cushions :)