Ok beeeeee keepers....where do we start?

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can buy the kits and what not to start our adventure but would like to hear from some veterans

Where would be the best place to start with our bee keeping adventures?.... I want obtaine as much information i can before embarking on the adventure.

We live in North Central Florida and we do have black bears, so we will be surround the hive(s) in eletric fencing.
20180423_234310.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Find a local mentor . There are huge differences in managing bees here vs Florida. Italians are the easiest bee to start with. Partially because they winter well. Yep, see, even that is regional lol. But they are likely the calmest best producers.

Read books, look on YouTube . If you have specific questions I can ask my husband. He kept bees in the past, we haven't since we've been together but we are planning on getting back into them.... In the next few years.

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the information! We found out, a member of our congragation that lives up the road raises bees or the queens or so,thing like that lol he was telling my husband so only got part of what was said. So wi5h this information yall gave me and him hopeing to start next year!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can buy the kits and what not to start our adventure but would like to hear from some veterans

Where would be the best place to start with our bee keeping adventures?.... I want obtaine as much information i can before embarking on the adventure.

We live in North Central Florida and we do have black bears, so we will be surround the hive(s) in eletric fencing.
View attachment 8603

Cute Lil bear you got there

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, bees yet :hit.... i hope to have them within the n3xt year. Its been a rough road getting our business up and running here like it was before.. lots going on.

But when we do i will try to get a thread going of the progress.

Latest posts