Ok cheesemakers...you have GOT to try this!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Abi talked me in to buying the most wonderful cheese ever yesterday - Gjetost cheese. We had picked up Ski Queen brand from Vitamin Cottage. It's a caramel-y, rich, delicious cheese that is so tasty I swear I almost swooned when I bit in to it. It's like the crack of cheese. It's like cheese candy. You can't believe how nom this is!!!
:drool

I decided to look it up this morning and guess what I discovered? The main ingredient is LEFTOVER WHEY!!! And guess what? There are instructions right here!!!
http://creatingnirvanatoday.blogspot.com/2011/06/homemade-gjetost-cheese-and-gjetost.html
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Gjetost/Gjetost.htm

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is the Norwegian cheese right? My swedish school children used to bring me that cheese...YUM! Hey WZ, try it on coconut pancakes, it is to die for!

Sure Neko, share your recipe as well please.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:drool sounds yummy!! And here I was all excited over a maple smoked cheddar I had on Sunday. :th

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
neko, i missed your original post. until sunday i had never heard of it either. but now i can give a full report. NOM NOM NOM NOM

:gig

The funny thing is I gave hubby some and he was like "meh".
And I was like "Whaaaaa????? Are you insane???"

So then I banned him from having anymore because he did not properly appreciate the cheesy, caramely, fudgy-textured, creamy wonderousness that is Ski Queen cheese.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
*is really laughing*

This is something I mentioned several weeks ago, but I got a rash of "I don't know" "I've never tried it" and "I don't like it" 's! I never DID get around to making it, as you need a ton of fresh, leftover whey, and lot's and lot's of time to make it. Do you want the recipe I've been eyeing? :p

It can be made from goats whey or cows whey, but the traditional way is the goats whey.
this is the beauty of forums...-- not everyone reads every post or is here every day. Things get missed.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Neko-Chan! Please post your recipe also! I love Gjetost!!!! Never considered that I could make it! Wonder if I could reduce it in my crockpot? Any guesses?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I have almost a gallon of goat milk in my frig right now that I need to use. But I've never done cheese yet. So, I make some simple soft cheese or ricotta, and I'll have whey leftover?