Ok, Dumb question but.. Ammo?!

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's the best way to store ammo long term? I got an incredible deal for my favorite rifle and was able to purchase enough ammo to theoretically last me a lifetime for that firearm. But storage... Dessicant or 02 absorbers in Mylar bags? Going with what I know.. And being water/moisture proof is important to me long term cuz I may have to move some of the ammo to the basement for storage...

Any advice is welcome and needed!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Kept at normal temperatures and dry, ammo should easily outlast any of us. Adding a desiccant pack or two may be a good idea. Just check your stored ammo for corrosion every year or so, change out the desiccant, and everything should be fine. I have some ammo that has been stored since I was in middle school (let's just say that it's been a while, and leave it at that :D ), and it is ok. I shot some a couple of summers ago with no problem.

Edited to correct a typo

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Kept at normal temperatures and dry, ammo should easily outlast any of us. Adding a desiccant pack or two may be a good idea. Just check your stored ammo for corrosion every year or so, change out the desiccant, and everything should be fine. I have some ammo that has been stored since I was in middle school (let's just say that it's been a while, and leave it at that :D ), and it is ok. I shot some a coupe of summers ago with no problem.
a basement in michigan generally keeps 30-40% humidity for half the year and goes up from there :) Average underground temps of about 55 degrees, slightly higher 2 months of the year. So thinking mylar, 02 dessicant would be safe? After finding out my food saver bags leak oxygen after a couple of years I've sort of shied away from using them for anything longer than 6 months..

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about all the above plus inside military ammo cans? There are also good plastic civilian boxes on the market, but a bit $$.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with O2 absorbers, but the regular desiccant (like that comes in some items from the store) would be great since you would definitely want to try and keep the humidity under 30%, if possible. Mylar probably isn't necessary, but it certainly won't hurt. As suggested by Toulle, surplus ammo cans are great for this as most have a rubber gasket.

The temperatures in the basement should be fine. The ammo from my middle school days was actually found in an unheated shed, and in a wooden ammo box that was exposed to the south Louisiana humidity for all of these years. The shed saw temperatures from below freezing, to well over 100 degrees. Some of the brass was starting to show some corrosion, and that's the stuff that I shot, but I had no misfires.

Also, avoid any oils as they can sometimes penetrate the seal between the bullet and the case (or the primer and the case), causing problems with either the primers or the powder.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The ammo from my middle school days
For just a second there I thought you said "the ammo from my middle school..."
Now that would be a cool middle school

Where would one get the type of dessicants you are talking about, K0xxx?

K0xxx said:
Also, avoid any oils as they can sometimes penetrate the seal between the bullet and the case (or the primer and the case), causing problems with either the primers or the powder
I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Toulle said:
k0xxx said:
Actually, our middle school did have a school sponsored hunting, fishing and shooting club. We didn't actually hunt as a club, but we did discuss hunting, fishing and shooting, and we did have a couple of field trips to the local outdoor range. A couple of times on a Saturday, several of us did ride our bikes (with our shotguns or .22's across the handlebars) to the school, to meet up for (non-school sponsored) squirrel hunts. Of course back then, a kid with a gun across the handlebars was no big deal.

Toulle said:
k0xxx said:

The desiccants are the type that are often found packaged with shoes or even food. It's also called silica gel. Type in "desiccant" or "silica gel" into eBay and you'll find hundreds of listings. Years ago, I found a local shoe store that would save all of the packs that fell out of their packages. The would normally just toss them in the trash. After they've been used for a while, they can be re-activated by putting them on a tray, in the oven on low heat. Also, a dehydrator works great.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Toulle said:
k0xxx said:
Actually, our middle school did have a school sponsored hunting, fishing and shooting club. We didn't actually hunt as a club, but we did discuss hunting, fishing and shooting, and we did have a couple of field trips to the local outdoor range. A couple of times on a Saturday, several of us did ride our bikes (with our shotguns or .22's across the handlebars) to the school, to meet up for (non-school sponsored) squirrel hunts. Of course back then, a kid with a gun across the handlebars was no big deal.

Toulle said:
k0xxx said:

The desiccants are the type that are often found packaged with shoes or even food. It's also called silica gel. Type in "desiccant" or "silica gel" into eBay and you'll find hundreds of listings. Years ago, I found a local shoe store that would save all of the packs that fell out of their packages. The would normally just toss them in the trash. After they've been used for a while, they can be re-activated by putting them on a tray, in the oven on low heat. Also, a dehydrator works great.
Actually when I was in middle school and we had to draw names for Xmas, the far and away most popular gift for boys was ammo. Every boy in the school had a gift wrapped box of shotgun or rifle ammo on the day of the school Xmas party....

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boyd, upon further reflection I realized that it depends on exactly what caliber of ammunition you are talking about. Most calibers will store very well in ways discussed.
If your ammo is 7.62x39, however, that is a special case. I would highly recommend you box that stuff up and send all you have to me for safe storage and/or disposal.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
Boyd, upon further reflection I realized that it depends on exactly what caliber of ammunition you are talking about. Most calibers will store very well in ways discussed.
If your ammo is 7.62x39, however, that is a special case. I would highly recommend you box that stuff up and send all you have to me for safe storage and/or disposal.
:)