Ok English , Living in Spain..........

Megsmum

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

I live in Spain, in the Region of Extremadura, which borders Portugal. It is not a well know and typical expat area. We have 40+ in the summer, possibly -3/-5 in the Winters. September/October LOTS of rain

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?

I live here with my Husband. We have 2 daughters who both still live and work in the UK. Our eldest daughter is expecting our first grandchild in April

3. How would you define self sufficiency?

For us SS is being able to do as much as we can for ourselves ie feed, clothe, heat etc without relying on the mainstream corporate world

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

Whats spare time!............Love crafts crochet knitting etc

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?

Before we moved my husband was a builder (Contructor). We are renovating out house here. At the moment the first building to be built will be housing for chickens, ducks and pygmy goats.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

Husband yes

7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?

As a child I grew up in the country...... thats what I wanted to return to

8 Cloth or paper?

Paper - Love writing lists!

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?

We have Solar Power and a well for water. Waste is disposed of via a biological system. We are totally off grid for all our amenities. = Medicine

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?

Can not do without a Car 4 wheel drive or the internet...

11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?

Only in so much as should we be stuck on the Finca because of bad weather etc

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Walking my dogs in the mountains

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Yes

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

Knit, Crochet, make jewelry and recycle crafting

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Chickens, goats and ducks arrive in June. We are considering a couple of pigs for next year

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

Husband yes

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

Yes............I am English......so has to be Roses,clematis. Here in Spain we have Jasmine and

Bougainvillea

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

Not since childhood
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?

3+ acres. countryside

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?

English !!!!!!!!!!!!

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

Mmmm not sure ask again in 5 years. BUT would love to have my own bees for honey

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG had enough with my Nursing Degree...... can I have a degree in dogs and major in Fun

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
again Husband

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?

Very Much so........going back to question 9

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

where we are now

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

yes wood stove for heating - Here in Spain its called an Estufa

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?

Anyone who fights for injustice in the world / People who are not tolerant of others

28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?

NOPE - My mother thinks I have lost my mind. Our daughters like what we are doing.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

LOVE COOKING - CANNOT WAIT FOR FRESH EGGS ETC. Raw milk no- i have crohns ,milk not good, use soya

30. What was your MOS?

Again English!!!
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

Wild mushrooms, chestnuts, asparagus walnuts etc are in abudance here. This is a hunting area. We do not hunt

32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?

Determinations, ability to adapt...........and can make a decent meal out of not much

33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
Disneyworld I am a BIG WDW fan.... been 11 times

34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
Solar

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?

Swallow heard about the weather in England compared to the tropics, decided to sit on the beach and drink the coconut with some malibu and Ice. therefore question no longer valid

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?

Totally
off grid now...............LOVE IT

37. In what do you trust?

My Husband, my children and MY god

38. Do you make things yourself to save money?

Yes... clothes, recycle stuff

39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

OMG Yes, it was not until we came here last year, and started on this adventure that we realised how much money we wasted on what really was utter rubbish. HUGE difference between Want, Need and would like

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Amen to that last one! I look at all the huge houses that people are building and ask myself why?