Ok goat people, how much would you pay for a goat in milk?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Aftetr the last one not panning out, I have been searching for a doe in milk to last me until my cow gives birth. (a long ways away) I have found a saanen in milk for $350, but I would have to drive about two and a half hours to get her.

Too much? I haven't responded to the ad, so I don't know if she is ftf, or how much milk she gives, or how friendly etc. But she has been hand milked.

What are your thoughts?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For that price, she'd better have freshened VERY recently, have a huge udder and give lots of milk, hand milk like a charm (has she only been milked with a machine? Important question!), look great and be in great condition, and have recent negative tests for everything possible.

A Saanen can potentially give you a LOT of milk.....just check out OFG's blog! One little goat share sold to someone trustworthy could pay off her purchase price and you could still have plenty of milk for cheese and such.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:pop Oh this is totally something I've been wondering too!

And how much do you consider alot of milk for a day Freemotion?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I prefer a bit less myself, and am thrilled with 3 quarts a day, 4 at peak. This means the goat is likely more easily maintained. Usually. But the Saanens are the Holsteins of the goat world and are bred to REALLY put it in the bucket! A Saanen may give twice that. You may have to grain more than I do to maintain the condition of the doe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, saanens in their prime are said to give a gallon a day. I will respond. I do have someone(or several someones) who woudl be interested in fresh milk, so that might be worth looking into. I'll respond to the add and see what is said, thanks.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Well, saanens in their prime are said to give a gallon a day. I will respond. I do have someone(or several someones) who woudl be interested in fresh milk, so that might be worth looking into. I'll respond to the add and see what is said, thanks.
Cool. Let us know how it turns out!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I could swear I read that they give twice that at peak.....2 gallons a day. Couldn't find it in a quick search, though.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I gave that price for a doe and her twins kids. I sold the buckling, still have the doeling. Nubians though. I COULD be getting a half gallon or better a day if the doeling would stop guzzling :lol: I'm bout to tape that heffer up! Anyway, I think it may be a fair price. :hu Especially for a gallon of milk a day...at $4 a gallon here in the stores, she'd pay for herself in shy of 3 months...at least that is my reasoning ;)