Ok goat people, how much would you pay for a goat in milk?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Raw milk goes for $9 per gallon up here.
Oh I was just talking regular old grocery store moo milk, not even the GOOD stuff! ;) Goats milk goes for $8 a gallon, but I wouldn't pay that, that's why I got a milkmaker :lol: One time purchase :D Which is why I said...I'd totally do it myself.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup, I figured you ment regular milk. ;)

Frankly I've probably paid way more for the raw I get here than that goat. I finally bought a dairy sheep (lamb) because of it. (Now that I know we aren't dairy intolerant.)

If that is the average price in your area and she is in milk, I'd say go for it. Eventually she will pay for herself, right?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I just responded to the ad, and hopefuly I will hear back tomorrow. I will have to contact our local WAPF to findout what the going rate for goats milk is. Hubby owrks with a few guys who I'm sure would jump all over sharing the milk. If not, there are always people around who will, you know, for pet quality milk. ;)

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been looking around here also,,not really to buy but just in case I decide I need one,,they are all over the place on price,,I see some just fresh does for $125 up to several hundred,,and I have seen doelings anywhere from $20 per head to $3-500 per head..this is mostly on CL,but they for the most part are selling as I save the ads and they are usually "deleted by author" within a few days.