Ok Horse People, I Have a Saddle Question

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My recently departed brother-in-law (he didn't die, just departed) left behind a Crosby English Saddle as partial payment for debts owed. We would like to sell the saddle and devote the proceeds to the Recently Departed Brother-in-Law Memorial Tractor Implement Fund. My question is, how is an English Saddle measured? I've seen various listings for English Saddles and they mention a size, usually in inches. Any clues as to what part of the saddle to measure? Thanks.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's the seat, measured from the rivet on the pommel to the center of the top of the cantel. Anywhere from 15-18 is normal for people, smaller and it's a children's saddle. :) Hope that helps!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its the seat measurement. Do you know whether its a Medium-Wide tree? And gullet size? You may consider speaking to a saddle fitter about having it measured as best as possible. You can't really measure the tree once it is put in the saddle but since it is a name brand it may have a serial number on it and you can usually google that and find out the sizing based on the numbers used.

Average sizing I've found is 16" - 17.5" seat, I ride in an 18" seat LOL... stupid big butt!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Crosby is a decent saddle. You might do well to sell it on consignment at a better, more upscale tack shop than on CL or other ways. They will have access to more people who are looking. If you were involved in the industry already, I'd have different advice for you....but a knowledgable person who is making a commission will get you the best price.

Oh, and :lol: on the departed comments!!!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I ride in an 18" seat LOL... stupid big butt!
me too :/ nice thing is, pretty much anyone can use my saddle in a pinch, whereas my skinny butt sister's saddle is completely useless for everyone but her.

i have been looking for an outback saddle that will fit my big butt AND my big thighs, which is apparently a GIANT headache.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I really do appreciate all of the help. However, not know the proper terminology (I believe that a pomegranate and cantaloupe were mentioned at some point), I will definitely be looking for some expert advice. I will also look to see if I can find a serial number on it. We don't have many upscale tack shops, or upscale anything else here in backwoods Arkansas, but I believe that I should be able to (easily) locate someone that knows a lot more about these than I do. Worse comes to worst, I'll put it on eBay. However, as stated before, I certainly thank everyone for their help.

THANKS!

ETA, if 18" is for large butts, do they come in 36"? I may want to ride someday. :D

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MeasureSaddle.jpg

This is on a western saddle, but that should give you the idea.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Just to clarify - measure from one of the rivets near the pommel to the *middle* of the cantle. (The top of it, along the centerline of the saddle).

If you could post pics of the saddle, we could probably tell you more about its age, type, possible price, and (if you took a shot from right in front of the saddle, so we can see down the gullet) make a good guess as to tree width.

ROTFL at your description of the whole affair :)

Pat