ok ladies, help me build a building!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*already cross eyed*

Its a simple shed, nothing fancy...is floating slab ok?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
LOL, c'mon, it's FUN figuring out different alternatives for doing something :)

How big will it be, and what is your soil like. that's pretty much what determines whether just a floating slab is sufficient.

Pat

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
6x6 (or there abouts)

But!! I just remembered I was trying to take some dirt from that spot to fill in a hole my bunny dug and kept hitting something hard. There was a shed on that spot and we have a mole...hmm I need to go run out andsee whts under that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MsPony said:
6x6 (or there abouts)

But!! I just remembered I was trying to take some dirt from that spot to fill in a hole my bunny dug and kept hitting something hard. There was a shed on that spot and we have a mole...hmm I need to go run out andsee whts under that.
Oh! I was picturing something much larger! I agree with Pat, simple pole building is much easier, but it won't be as tight to the ground. Floating slab with maybe just a bit down into the ground on the edges to keep it from lifting should do it, IMO.

And maybe Pat and I should start a construction business! :lol:

Moles and voles are a real pain! They can really tunnel.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Instead of putting those "L" bolts in the wet concrete, you can just use a lead anchor AFTER the concrete slab has cured.
That way, the bolt placement isn't critical. Just drill through the sill board, tap the anchor in, and screw the bolt into it. Easy-peasy.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Old fashion wheelbarrel works great for mixing cement, for smaller jobs.My friend had one of those silly roll barrel cement things, he hated it...Hard to get cement out of, roll all over the place.He sold it in a yard sale and went back to the tried and true way, a wheelbarrel..

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Old fashion wheelbarrel works great for mixing cement, for smaller jobs.My friend had one of those silly roll barrel cement things, he hated it...Hard to get cement out of, roll all over the place.
I am curious what people are doing with these things that they find 'em hard to get cement out of -- you just tip it up as it's lying there on the ground or a plank, how easy is that? And I can't imagine what surface it would "roll all over the place" on with a load of cement in it.

You get WAY less cement dust in your face (eyes, lungs) with the barrel thing, and it is FASTER (if you're doing it right anyhow). Two good things, in my book.

Pat

the1honeycomb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
WOW I am impressed!!! I am building also and didn't expect to get soo many great responses You ladies know your stuff!:bow