Ok, so I have a dilemma about bird feed

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have chickens and ducks that eat purina layena. I have 12 little chickies in the brooder that will be going out the th barn soon. and I have about 26 duck eggs that will be hatching in a staggered hatch (three ducks setting) that will be in the barn.

What should I feed all of these critters? I know no medicated for the ducks. and no calcium for the chicks and ducklings. and there is no way I can separate any of them, it is just not doable. So would there be one type of feed that will work for all of them, until they can be on layena? Chick starter until they are all old enough?

Suggestions?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The "no medicated feed for ducks" was the rule years ago. The medication that was used was toxic to ducks. The medication used now is NOT toxic to ducks but the old irrelevant rule refuses to die.

If the only medication in the feed is ampro, it is safe for ducks. If your feed is medicated with something besides ampro, it is most likely OLD FEED. Like REALLY REALLY old. So you shouldn't feed that to ANYTHING :p

As for calcium, I offer oyster shells free choice. The ducks that need it grab it. The drake ignores it. Easy peasy.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't aware of that. it is ampro in the chick starter, but I can do nonmedicated. (i usually give medicated to the chicks only, just to get them past the suseptible stage)So I should do chick starter to satisfy everyone and offer oyster shell to those who need it? does that sound like the ticket?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That should work. One more thing though. Some feeds can be too low in niacin for ducks. You might have to crush up some brewer's yeast and offer that to the ducks.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Since I keep my chicks separate from the group for at least a week or so, I feed them chick starter during that time. Once I mix them in with the big ones, I put the chick starter under a milk crate. The chicks can get to it and eat in peace, but the big ones can't get to it. I also feed everyone meat builder type of feed rather than egg layer crumbles. I give them oystershell on the side.
I don't know anything about ducks.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
See, that is the discussion I had with the guy at the feed store. Either meat builder or chick feed. But the meat builder would be too big for the chicks to eat. He wasn;t sure about what to do (emplyee, not the owner)

Wifey--would I offer the brewers yeast in a separate container for the ducks? or just add it to the chick feed (as in would it be ok for the chickens too)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The meatbuilder isn't that big. It is about the same size as the chickfeed. At least the stuff I get. Now that my chicks are 1 week old, I am also starting to give them grains. I add birdseed to my chicken mix and there is plenty in there, that the chicks can eat, the momma gets the rest.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I had a staggered age range last year I used Purina flock raiser with success. Would that work to cover all your needs?

Purina Mills Flock Raiser SunFresh Recipe is specially formulated for raising a mixed flock of poultry until laying age (18-20 weeks). It is also designed to meet the more demanding needs of broiler or meat-type chicks, raising them successfully from hatch to either market or maturity. Purina Mills Flock Raiser is a 20% protein product made from the same high-quality ingredients as Start & Grow. It is higher in energy to support the faster growth rate of meat-type birds. Well-supplemented with vitamins and minerals, this product also works very effectively for growing turkeys (eight weeks and older). It is fortified with high levels of niacin so that it can also be used for waterfowl. Purina Mills Flock Raiser SunFresh Recipe provides an entire mixed flock of chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese with top nutrition, all in one bag.

Hope I did not miss someone else suggesting this.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I asked the employee about flock raiser, but as far as he knew, they didnt have it. Maybe I should talk to the owner to see if they could order it in. That's what i originally had in mind. I guess I'll call him on Monday.

Latest posts