Ok, so talk to me, please, food guru's - calorie counting etc.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! I guess that's why it seemed like such low number- for us it is! We're extremely active people, and we walk everywhere. I figure we each walk at least 8 miles a day, on just your plain ol day. Not to mention our love of hiking for weekend outings, and so forth. We're also sizable people. I'm 5'9", he's 6'3".

Hopefully a little room will open up in my budget now, too. We're moving this weekend, and the new place will be a bit cheaper than what we're each paying now, so that is good. On the other hand, I have to drive 20 min each way now for class every day. :(

And if all goes right, I can have 4 laying hens at the new place. Yay good eggs. Now my main aspiration is a place for real milk. Haven't found any options that wouldn't be a fortune. The budget is hard to balance for us, because we're trying to do school completely without any debt. So far so good, but it is out of state tuition for him, so we end up pinching a bit. I'm blessed with the scholarship I have, but there is still a lot left! I'm starting to see why so many people are so very, very in debt. >.<

If I had to choose one important food type project- yogurt, or kefir, or cheese, or something, what do you think would have the biggest value payoff as compared to time invested?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Our new fave is bunless hamburgers too! And we're eating a lot more cauliflower than ever. I never craved it when I was a carb eater.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
If I had to choose one important food type project- yogurt, or kefir, or cheese, or something, what do you think would have the biggest value payoff as compared to time invested?
I think Kefir would be more versatile. But really you could do both yogurt and kefir. Both are made from milk. That would be your only purchase.

Kefir can be drank, strained into kefir leban,(sour cream/ cheesy texture) then made into different types of cheese. http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir_cheese.html#links

Yogurt can also be strained into a sour cream type consistency. Or even further into cheese.

I am sure Free will know which is healthier. Kefir is very easy, yogurt takes a bit more work.

Just my .02

gina

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I get Farmer's Creamery brand cream. It is non-homogenized, vat pasteurized. The vat process is lower temp and doesn't subject the milk to high pressure. Not as good as raw, but the best I can do in my area.
We don't have any stores near us that carry that brand. I just read labels....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TL, my choice would be kefir. It is easier than yogurt and more health benefits, even if you start with cheap, storebought milk. Cheese is not cost effective unless you have a lactating animal. You can still make yogurt now and then if you like to have both. I have a friend in TX who gets organic milk for a dollar a gallon when it is near the sell-by date and makes yogurt with it....a dollar for a gallon of yogurt!!! It keeps well, too.

Check out the kefir threads for lots of uses for kefir. I also love strained yogurt with fruit....it actually makes a good grab-n-go food if prepared in advance and is very satisfying.

Quail, for the stuffed peppers (and other recipes that are carb-loaded old favorites) I use brown rice and just use far less. Then you won't likely have a full carb serving in one pepper, depending on how much you scrimp on the rice. You can use the lentils if that sounds good to you, too....

We have pasta now and then, but our plates look very different than they used to! A small portion of whole wheat pasta smothered in a thick sauce loaded with ground meat and topped with lots of cheese. In warmer weather, we have a big salad, when it is cold, I steam veggies in large amounts and top them with butter and salt, or more of the cheese.....feta, yum!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We also switch plates on pasta days...salad plate for the pasta serving, which is mostly sauce, meat, and cheese....and dinner plate for the salad or veggie servings. If you serve the meal as courses, it is not only fancy-schmancy, but you can get everyone filled up on their veggies before putting out the "main course" and they won't feel cheated. Use a smaller dessert fork for the main dish, too. Makes it all look bigger. Finish with a small, carb-free dessert cheese with a small portion of fresh fruit, cut up on plates to also look fancy-schmancy. Make meals a celebration whenever possible!

Latest posts