Ok, so talk to me, please, food guru's - calorie counting etc.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I get Farmer's Creamery brand cream. It is non-homogenized, vat pasteurized. The vat process is lower temp and doesn't subject the milk to high pressure. Not as good as raw, but the best I can do in my area.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i just bought a quarter cow :D grass fed. no hormones or anti biotics.

woot!

i'm really excited lol. so i'll have healthy meat at last.

2.99 pound. and they do all the processing.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I have a question on the protein front. I don't have too much of a problem getting the proteins I need (and I know I need a TON, my family has a history of hypoglycemia, and we're all high metabolism, and my cycles are way too heavy...).

But then there is SO. He is a vegetarian. I've gotten him to the point that he'll eat fish and seafood, but most of the time that stuff is out of our budget. What can he eat as a protein substitute?!? So many bad choices for vegetarians, lol! I've got him ALL the way off of unfermented soy (proudest achievement of my life, lol!), but we do use a fair amount of fermented tempeh, either soy or grain. Is that okay? It's all organic, made locally here. Nothing I can't pronounce on the label.

What about things like vital wheat gluten? I know gluten can be inflammatory for some people... is it common enough that we should avoid something that is basically pure gluten? It's really high in protein though, and there are these great sausages made out of it.

Should we just stick with legumes for protein? But then what do we use to complete the protein, if we're avoiding most rice and corn? What about something like quinoa?

Thank you, food gurus! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Raw pastured dairy products and pastured eggs! Avoid the manufactured vegetarian/vegan products. If you look at the per pound prices on those things... yikes. They are sooooo processed, they aren't really food anymore. Doesn't really matter what the number on the label gives for protein. Eat real food.

Legumes are a source of carbs, not a significant source of protein. Your instincts are also correct on not considering pure gluten, a highly processed ingredient, as a good source of protein.

Even fermented soy products contain phyto-estrogens and hormone disrupters, so should be used as condiments only (like a teaspoon), and certainly not daily. Especially for a man who would like to continue into his later years enjoying a normal sex life! But also for women....our hormones are critical, too. Not to be disrupted.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok we over slept this morning, so our breakfast is becoming more of a brunch, but we're having fried ham steaks (with lots of fat on the edges and through the middle) and eggs.

and coffee.

Wife, the cream I bought yesterday is heavy whipping cream and the name of the brand is C.F. Burger (I think?) creamery. It was the only one that wasn't Ultra Pasteurized. I tried it in my coffee and all I gotta say is YUM!! I had even cut the amount of sugar in half that I normally put in my coffee, and with the heavy whipping cream, I didn't miss the sugar. :p

Now if I can just wean myself to no added sugar to my coffee at all...

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Awesome! And yeah...weaning off the sugar is hard, but take it slow. I am still a sweetener junkie (Splenda and/or Erythritol), but at least I am off the sugar, carbs, and other garbage I used to put in my coffee (artifical creamer....shudder!!!)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm ready to jump on this wagon with you. So, I'll put away the bread, the croutons in my salad, the white wine at nite (omgosh, How will I manage???), the granola every morning for my bfast, the occasional potato chips....

I'm lactose intolerant since birth, so don't have to worry about too much processed dairy. What do I eat for breakfast every morning? I start my day with a cup of tea, and then later have a cup of black coffee. Hate cream or sugar in it. How do I not get the shakes after the cup of coffee?

At 'tini time (my dear passed MIL coined that for years, so we still call it that) when DH and I sit on the deck and discuss what we did for the day, I can forgo the cracker with my slices of cheese; I don't care about pistashios or pretzels; I do like the jumbo non salted peanuts, and then there is the downfall - the wine and the second and the third - but I use small 1/2 cup wine glasses.

Don't care about dessert so only DH gets it. Don't care about cookies. I like them but they don't call my name.

It was sad, yesterday, to see my clothes that used to fit me, that are over 30 lbs away from fitting now....

Help!!!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
An occasional glass of white wine is no biggie. Instead of a second (or third) glass, how about some iced tea?

If you can eat cheese, cheese on some fresh eggs make a great breakfast. I also like almond meal pancakes with sliced strawberries on them. Also don't get hung up on breakfast food. As long as it has healthy natural fat and protein, it's good :D

My cracker and chip replacer is slices of fresh jicama. Jicama slices dipped in hot spicy queso dip is a FANTASTIC snack.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So lemme get this straight. No lentils, no grains, no cooked carrots, minimal peas, no potatoes, no fruit. The only things my boyfriend would be able to eat for protein would be yogurts, eggs, milk, and cheeses. And even I would have to eat meat to cover my protein, and I normally only have meat once or twice a week.

I don't know how this would be possible for us. The Boyfriend can eat 12 hardboiled eggs in a sitting. I'm fairly certain we would go bankrupt. Shoveling in oats, lentils, beans and rice has been the only way we've managed so far.

Am I missing something? How do you guys do this?

Latest posts