OK, soapers, 2nd batch worked!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea.

I have a question for you. I found a discount store that has everything half off the first Saturday of every month. I was eyeing these big jugs of olive oil. would any grade work for soap? I was going to use them for cooking first and oil lamps second. if the oil was to old. But now I am thinking of soap.

Sorry about your first batch of soap Punkin, but thank you for sharing your experience with us.

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Thanks FF!!!

Your a good teacher!

So on the calculator if you choose the superfat percent at 5%, your basically calculating an extra 5% oils into the soap to ensure 'binding'?

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.
Basically yes! The extra oil just ensures the lye has plenty of stuff to bind with.

As far at the teaching compliment - THANKS!! :D

I have been, by profession, teaching for about 15 years. At my last job I taught middle school Science. I love to teach and Science is by far my favorite subject! Probably why I love the homesteading thing so much ... lots of opportunity for Scientific study and experimentation! ;) :D

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, I had no idea.

I have a question for you. I found a discount store that has everything half off the first Saturday of every month. I was eyeing these big jugs of olive oil. would any grade work for soap? I was going to use them for cooking first and oil lamps second. if the oil was to old. But now I am thinking of soap.

Sorry about your first batch of soap Punkin, but thank you for sharing your experience with us.

g
I did not know you could use olive oil in oil lamps?:/ Cool!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, I had no idea.

g
As far as olive oil is concerned I believe "Extra Virgin" is the first pressing of the olives. "Virgin" is the second pressing, after that it is labeled "Pure". There are several grades of oil from A to D. The "Extra Virgin" is the most flavorful and best for cooking purposes, but the D grade is supposed to make the best soap. D grade is very hard to find at stores. So I just buy the cheapest olive oil I can! It usually works great! ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FF, thank you so much. Once again, I have learned more from someone on here than in doing hours of research. Your explainations are easy to read and understand. Merle is right, you are a great teacher.

I had no idea what the superfat % was on the calculator, so I just left it blank. Now, I do and will use your %5-6% suggestion.

I did buy the cheapest olive oil, cause I remembered someone else on hear posted they did the same for their soaps.

I'm going to check on my second batch later this morning.

Thanks, Gina. I didn't know you could burn olive oil in lamps either. Can you check to see if there is a date on those jugs?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I just cut my 2nd batch and it worked :weee

It's really, really soap. :ya

I got 4 really nice sized bars out of it, and the extra slivers I'll use in the body scrub bags.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:thumbsup :ya :weee

Now let those bars sit somewhere where they can dry and cure for about two weeks before using. It helps them become more mild and harder which makes the bars last longer! I use those extra slivers to make soap balls for my bathroom sink.

:D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
:thumbsup :ya :weee

Now let those bars sit somewhere where they can dry and cure for about two weeks before using. It helps them become more mild and harder which makes the bars last longer! I use those extra slivers to make soap balls for my bathroom sink.

:D
They are sitting on a rack in the bottom of the spa tub (at least it's being used for something) with a note when they will be ready.

Good idea about the soapballs.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thats great Punkin! I'm glad it worked out!

Goat milk oatmeal raspberry! I might have to have that for breakfast!! That sounds sooo nummy!

Another question for you FF!

How do you make your soap balls? I have quite a few slivers that I should find a use for.