Okay breadmakers...I need help.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I want to make my own whole wheat loaf bread but I just can't seem to get the yeast thing down. Does anyone have any recipes that don't call for yeast?

We go through soooo much bread I just thought it would be cheaper to make my own. Yesterday my 3 1/2 yr old son ate 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch....I don't know what I 'm gonna do when he gets bigger!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lori

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the water temp right and I am not sure if it is blooming. I made my first loaf today and it was just a mess. I want to see if I can just cut it out alltogether.

Lori

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If it puffs up in the water then you are proofing it right. Try adding the sweetener to the water & yeast also, sometimes that really helps. I haven't came across a recipe that eliminates the yeast. Whole wheat is harder to rise as it takes a little more kneading for the gluten to react properly. One trick I was taught is to take a little bit of the dough & see if you can streach(sp?) it till it is thin but does not break apart & you can semi see thru (a little transparent without breaking).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My recipe calls for 2 c. flour, 1 c. brown sugar or honey and 3 T. yeast, 4 c. warm water (pee warm is best!) to start the yeast working for the bread dough. . Mix these ingredients and let it sit in a warm place....top of the fridge, middle of the gas stove (warmth from pilot lights) or somewhere similar...even a sunny windowsill. When it starts to get foamy and fluffy, you have an active yeast reaction going on(then add other ingredients). Too hot of water will kill this reaction.

It helps to buy the vacuum packed bulk yeast....it seems to work better than the strips you buy in the baking aisle at that store.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You also need to check your recipe for what type of yeast.
Quick or Rapid Rise (same thing different name). Or Active.
I personally do not like the Rapid Rise yeast. I can't seem to make it work correctly for my breads. Fleischmans website has lots of info on yeast and how they work. Also, if I remember correctly, wheat bread requires a little more yeast than white or white wheat mixed.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Lori, I agree with everyone else, you are not going to be able to get away from using yeast.

If you are having yeast trouble your yeast may be old. Check it by mixing some of the water in your recipe, with the yeast and whatever sweetener (sugar or honey ) that your recipe calls for. The water should feel warm to the inside of your wrist...like preparing a bottle for a baby. If the water is too hot it will kill off the yeast.

Mix together the three things I listed above and wait about 5-10 minutes...if it looks a bit frothy then your yeast is good.
I agree with 2dream about whole wheat being harder to rise.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm making some bread right now actually LOL My first loaves sucked, my measurements were off because of my lack of a weigh scale, and I didn't sift my flour. My recipe says to mix my flour and salt in the bowl, then put 48G of yeast in a well in the centre, 1tsp of honey, and half a cup of water, sprinkle with flour and let sit for 15 minutes, then add the remaining water, mix, then knead for 10 minutes, cover and leave in a warm place for an hour.

By the way, that recipe is for wholewheat bread :)

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just discovered the difference between Active yeast and Rapid Rise yeast just last week, :he I'll be more careful about which I'm buying from now on!

I use a thermometer to meaure the temperature of the water. My bread has consistently been better since I started that (and got rid of the Rapid Rise).

Inchy

PAJerry

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I buy yeast in bulk at our co-op. I have found that keeping it in the freezer makes it last for at least 6 months with no problem rising. Be very careful if using recipies that call for garlic or cinnamon, since those things retard or kill yeast action. Another thing I have found if that you get better results if you keep all the ingredients and utensils at room temp before making bread. Adding cold eggs to a recipie slows things down a lot. Using cold bowls or pans also hurts.

Latest posts