Okay duck people, I need your help

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A skippy filter (which is what mine is based on) uses beneficial bacteria to clear the water. It's like when you put up an aquarium at home. You plug everything in and let it run for a week before you put in any fish. The bacteria grow on pieces of biodegradable furnace filter. The pond pump circulates the water. Having it cascade back in to the pond oxygenates the water as well as looks cool :D

I have never had the filter clog. I have had outflow problem when using narrow tubes. I now have a bigger hole with a spout. It works great. The pump screen does need to be cleaned from time to time because grass and feathers can get stuck on it.

With a bio filter, you DON'T clean the filter. If you clean the filter, you kill the bacteria that are working so hard to get your water clean.

The only issue I have is sediment build up in the bottom of the pond. Since I have 6 ducks who play in it, this is NOT surprising. Every couple of months, I drain the pond and use my big shop vac to suck up the muck. I then water the muck down and pour it on my plants. It is great fertilizer!