Okay goat people, help me (LOOK AT THIS!!!)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have room for a goat "pasture" that is 40' by 100'. My husband is getting all the fence posts for FREE tomorrow. Is that going to be plenty of room for 3-4 nigerian dwarves? I was thinking that we would only do one big run-in type shed for them and there are some trees in that area so they have some shade (and something to climb on :lol:). We won't be getting the goats until spring so I have time to get everything ready.

Give me a list of stuff that I HAVE to have.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds good Lori

be sure to get small square wire fencing. that stops poking thru the head and horns getting stuck! Ugh--I learned on this one.HA HA

be sure you have shelter for tons of good hay they will require.

just a good water trough and 2-3 feed pans should do it.

you do not need much for 2-4 dwarf goats at all.

of course start reading about care
www.tennesseemeatgoats.com
go to Articles on right side

every article in the word on goat health, maintenance, shelter, breeding, etc. bookmark it cause it is invaluable!

you sure are rolling forward Lori. that is great.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Also scout out and make sure there aren't any poisonous plants in their home-to-be.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
www.fiascofarm.com has a great list, and lots of other useful information.

I found that my goats will shred the cheaper welded wire fencing when they climb on it with their pointy little hoofies, trying to reach something or just get my attention. Pay more for the woven wire, it is worth it.

Exercise-wise, that should be a great size. Pasture-wise, it depends on your area and what is growing in there. Dividing it could help, you can improve and rest an area while they are in another area.

What do you plan to do with the goats? Milk? Meat? Pets only?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Since you'll need hay (unless you are in a remarkably good growing area,) make or buy a good hay feeder with a tray to catch the loose hay. Goats will not readily eat what falls to the ground and can waste lots of hay that way. The tray will catch the little bits and the goats will eat them. In the shelter is a good place to feed as goaties hate being out in the wet.
Also water should be in a container where they will be unlikely to poop in it. Goats poop at anytime and anywhere. So if the water is too low or in a place where they can get their butts in the way, you'll spend lots of time cleaning out water. I put my little troughs on blocks so the goats stand with their front feet on the blocks and reach in to drink. I don't think even the cleverest little goatie will stand with her back feet on the blocks just to poop in the water.
I thoroughly agree with woven wire rather than welded. Not only to they stand up on the fence like dogs, they are fond of pushing against it while walking along in order to get a good scratch.
Also I would get the smallest mesh you can, especially if you plan to leave them with horns. A goat can get their head through and not be able to get it back out due to horns. I use 2"x4" openings-4"x4" will be too big for kids of a small breed like nigie'.

Also if your area is wet seasonally, make sure that the place you have for them has really good high and dry areas because constantly wet goat feet will get hoof rot fast and bad. Since I live in a rain forest, I have rubber mats as walkways everywhere. Don't put them in an area that floods.

Re: trees- it depends on the size and kind of trees- if they are tasty trees the goats will eat the bark off them and kill them.

Goats like to eat a wide variety of stuff- just check that it isn't poisonous.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We have really good drainage....the hill slopes down into the woods behind the house with a flat spot at the top. I found out yesterday that the free poles my husband got (thank you honey for working at verizon) are old telephone poles that have gone to a salvage yard. He is also bringing home some 2x8x12s that he got from work too!

I'm putting in some pictures....there are mostly cedar trees but there are some pine too and I think a couple of poplar. There are some sunny open areas and some shady areas too. It goes all the way from our split rail fence down to the dog run.
100_1849.jpg

100_1854.jpg

100_1850.jpg

here's a view from the bottom of the hill off to the side
100_1852.jpg

what do you think? It is just our side yard so we were going to put our meaties in there for now to help fertilize the grass and get our goats next spring with some of the money from our tax return.....at least that's the plan. :fl

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That looks great! I pictured much more of a slope. That is pretty darn level looking. The trees will give some nice shade, too, until the goats kill them! :lol: You could put rings of fencing around them to protect the bark, though.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You have a pretty place. The goats will love those lower branches. You might even have a couple sheep around if you want some wooly lawnmowers. Those poles are a wonderful score.