Okay now it is too cold, My barred Rock Roo is in the house too:>)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've really got to put some thought into what I want to do. I was thinking of ordering Partridge chanteclers and silkies from ideal...and perhaps some buff brahmas. I love the feather footed breeds bt they are really hard to keep clean during the winter in the coop...poop just seems to stick to them.
The silkies don't roost and thier favourate spot to sleep it seems is right under the rocks roost :/
I like the banties for thier setting and mothering habits though...
In the end I would like to end up with a fairly small amount of birds that I can just breed out year after year because we are soon gong to have to register them and I really don't want any part of that kind of system. Trying to get established before that happens

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
DH and I were thinking of bringing a hen in the house to see if we can coax out at least one egg a day. :p

He was joking. Soon as he said it, I was looking at the extra and empty ferret cage...hmm...maybe I will bring in a pair of bantams....ROTFL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Haha! You will probably want to give them a bath though...they don't smell very good! I can't bathe mine because I am planning on promptly returning them to thier house as soon as the cold front leaves:>)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I've really got to put some thought into what I want to do. I was thinking of ordering Partridge chanteclers and silkies from ideal...and perhaps some buff brahmas.
Will ideal provide health certificates for Canadians? I thought only McMurray and Sandhill did that? Ordering from the states seems like a hard way of doing it -- having to drive all the way down to buffalo or other border city at the drop of a hat -- as opposed to getting something from Performance which is a lot closer?

In the end I would like to end up with a fairly small amount of birds that I can just breed out year after year because we are soon gong to have to register them and I really don't want any part of that kind of system. Trying to get established before that happens
I'm not convinced that common sense (or anyhow practicality) won't intervene before the whole ID thing gets revved up, but yeah, I'm trying to do something similar, that's basically what the sussexes are for (they are reasonably meaty and fast-maturing). If I liked them less I would have gone with chanteclers instead -- the comb thing is certainly a consideration -- but I fear I have fallen in love with my sussexes, and can't really afford to keep/breed TWO large-bodied flocks :p

I have heard you get interesting looking offspring ifyou cross white and partridge chanteclers. I have not seen pix and do not know what exactly 'interesting looking' means in this context.

Pat