Okay, questions for my goat people

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buying the hoof trimmers isn't a bad purchase. I bought my orange handle trimmers 13 years ago and I'm still using the same pair. They need to be sharpened but I haven't even had them sharpened before.

I use PBS Livestock for most of my purchases. If you spend $75 or more, it is free shipping. Not sure if they are the same or cheaper than Jeffers but for me it is a local Ohio company so I give them the business. Plus I have been using them for over 13 years and have been happy with their service. But I also buy my syringes and needles in 100 count boxes and need the larger sizes of meds/wormers.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hey Karen, do you hand milk? If so, what do you milk into? The girls are so short.... :p

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hand milk when I only have a couple of girls to milk. I milk into an 8 ounce canning jar. You have to milk one teat at a time. The girl I'm currently milking actually gives me a half gallon a day so I have a quart jar on a stand and dump the milk when I fill up the 8 ounce jar.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use Karen's method but with pyrex measuring cups. I like the handle to hold onto.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Rock on! I can handle that...never thought of using a pyrex measuring cup. DUH.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D It makes it super easy for me to pull the cup away when the little devils decide to kick and muck up my hard work. On the other hand...I can't milk with the other hand :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I went to TSC today and got a pair of hoof trimmers, goat nutri drench, blue kote, probios, and sweet pdz for the barn.

I need to get a small strainer and pads, pyrex measuring cup, thermometer, bottle of b vitamins, and a big old pack of white washcloths to clean the udders.

What do you guys use for udder wash/teat dip? Can I make my own?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm using baby wipes. Except for when I forget to bring them back inside and they get ice cold. Goats don't appreciate that :p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I use baby wipes before milking, and teat dip after. I can't remember where I got it, it's chlorhexidine based, but you dilute a quart so it makes a gallon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use a peanut butter jar with a cup of water, a tsp of bleach, and a drop of soap. I put a cap in it from a bottle that is the perfect size for dipping, and made up a bunch of flannel "cocktail napkins" from an old flannel sheet and fold one up and put it in the warm solution for udder washing. I make up the solution each time I milk. I transferred some bleach to a smaller bottle to make this easy, and keep it with my milking kit along with a measuring spoon. Only use clorox or purex for this, as the cheap brands of bleach are not consistent in strength.