Oklahoma transplant from California

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello, I was just turned on to this site from someone on back yard herds. I am also on BYC.

We are in Central Oklahoma near Shawnee, OK.

I moved here in 2005 from Modesto, California. Soon after I met Mr. Perfect. Hubby and I were married in 2009 and in Sept of 2010 we bought our home on 5 acres. We currently raise goats, chickens, and guinea fowl. We also have dogs, cats, a lizard, and what ever creeps it's way into our yard LOL.

We hope to expand to horticulture and producing our own energy someday!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Welcome, you sound like me! I'm from the REAL big city though :lol:

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
LOL, I followed the same trail from the BYC to backyard herds to here! Im also from California, Bakersfield is where I was born. AND Im niow in central Oklahoma too, Im in Seminole, right by Shawnee. Small world!

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
daniel-delarosa said:
LOL, I followed the same trail from the BYC to backyard herds to here! Im also from California, Bakersfield is where I was born. AND Im niow in central Oklahoma too, Im in Seminole, right by Shawnee. Small world!
I used to be in Modesto. Looks like we are a little closer this time. We are in Tecumseh :D it is like all the Okies went to Cali in the Dust bowl and now all the Calis are converging on Oklahoma hehe. I LOVE it here. I would not go back to California to live for anything!

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:frow :welcome

I think there is just a mass exodus out of Ca.I wish I was so lucky.

g
We were VERY fortunate. Mom sold her home right before the housing crash. Took less than an hour to sell it!!!

You can get double or more house and property for the same price as a California home here and likely in a better neighborhood. Or, better yet acreage! We paid less than $50k for 5 acres with a 3br 2 bath, 2 living room, & dining room house (tiny kitchen sucks but I have plans to change that haha). It also already had a barn, most of the fencing, out buildings, the well, septic, and utilities already serviced. It was a STEAL! Granted it needs some TLC but it would have been well over 1/2 a mill in Calli.