Old - but still working an 8 hour day.

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Tallman said:
Who is the oldest person you know who is still working an 8 hour day?

My FIL has sold real estate since the 1970's. Today you can still find him at his office from 9 to 5 - Monday through Friday, and he will be 96 this July. :old

Know anybody that can top that? :plbb
My Dad and Tony's Dad.

My Dad (Don) never stops. He is 78 and works the farmer market every Sat.....up from 5 AM and sets up and sells for about 8n hrs. and loves it. When not working for me, Dad does something 10 hrs. per day from making furniture to exercising etc.

Tony's Dad (Ralph) works the farm. From 6 AM til end of day he feeds animals, works hay, the farm etc. etc. This is 7 days per week!

2 guys that swear that works keeps you living! I like that attitude!

And me and Tony are not far behind....hmm....being near 50 in age, does that count? LOL-LOL
I see ranchers like that out here in Kiowa. You know they've been doing it their whole life and the work ain't easy. I spend the weekend doing ranch type stuff and it about kills me. I got to respect those guys.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I see ranchers like that out here in Kiowa. You know they've been doing it their whole life and the work ain't easy. I spend the weekend doing ranch type stuff and it about kills me. I got to respect those guys.
My own father passed away two years ago. He had been a farmer all his life; however, he did officially retire from it at 75 or so. He passed on just watching T.V. while sitting in his easy chair at home.

Both my father and my father in law knew how to live, and they knew how to die.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Way back in February I started this thread about my FIL and the fact that he was 95 and still working. Well, FIL passed away Friday. He put in a full day at his real estate office, went home, had supper and went over to visit his wife at her assisted living apartment. While they were visiting, he started breathing very hard so she told him to lie down. He did this for a few minutes while she went to get someone from the staff to come help. When they returned, he was gone.

I told DH that I don't ever remember him ever being in the hospital, and she reminded me that about 15 years ago they put him in the hospital over night because his bull ran over him. One would think that somewhere along the line he would have had some kind of a surgery - even it it was minor like tonsils or appendix, but nothing. Very remarkable.
Sorry for your loss. :hugs He sounds like he enjoyed his life.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
So sorry for you loss. We should all hope for such a wonderful life with the ability to continue to do the things we want to do.